Vendors are Doing Nothing Wrong by Raising their Prices.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lolll wow 849 thats definatley a new record. Please please someone with a wholesale account post how much much one of them actually costs them and see if its 20% margin. Lol now the lagoon can have 29 radions instead of 28 on it woot woot
Companies can’t have a margin over 20%? You realize you can’t even stay in business if your margins are that low? Unless you’re Costco that moves a massive amount of stuff.

Who cares what margin a company has? They’re allowed to have whatever margin they want. 99.9% of us would sell a coral for $850 if the market allowed that. Even if it only cost us $100. We’d all do it. Especially if hundreds of people were relying on you to pay their bills and put food on the table.

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Vendors of today:

giphy.gif

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Companies can’t have a margin over 20%? You realize you can’t even stay in business if your margins are that low? Unless you’re Costco that moves a massive amount of stuff.

Who cares what margin a company has? They’re allowed to have whatever margin they want. 99.9% of us would sell a coral for $850 if the market allowed that. Even if it only cost us $100. We’d all do it. Especially if hundreds of people were relying on you to pay their bills and put food on the table.
It's like all these people should be happy after going to work every day buying lunch and gas, paying taxes and at the end of the week you get to bring home 20% of what you earned... otherwise EVIL.

Try holding yourself to the same standard which you hold others.

Zero perspective.

Edit: Not directed at you. I just re-read it and thought there was room for confusion.

Pridedcloth3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true but if wwc doesn't do it then somebody else probably will?
More than likely. I just don't think it's particularly worth it in most cases when I can find a almost identical coral for way less. On top of the GasBuddy what you see online is usually a coral under $3k lighting with a $4k camera. I mean if cool forking out that kind of money for a funny named shroom that's gonna be just as invasive as any other go ahead. Me ii for my hands on 3 nice sized goni frags for a total of 70 bucks. A sunburst one that looks a lot like the space balls and everyday green goni all from my lfs. So proof is in the pudding

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's like all these people should be happy after going to work every day buying lunch and gas, paying taxes and at the end of the week you get to bring home 20% of what you earned... otherwise EVIL.

Try holding yourself to the same standard which you hold others.

Zero perspective.

Edit: Not directed at you. I just re-read it and thought there was room for confusion.

Can you imagine risking millions of dollars and having the weight of hundreds, if not thousands, of people on your shoulders and then being told you can’t make more than 20% margins???

We’d watch almost every company in existence go under if they had to cap profits to 20%. As a business owner myself, I won’t even think about a job with 20% margins. It’s a complete non starter. I’d go bankrupt.

To simply cover the costs of DOA fish and corals, a LFS has to have margins well above 20%. Let alone wages, rent, insurance, taxes, etc…

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Similar to a related thread, it appears that this thread has moved well beyond the sub-forum topic where it was originally placed, so we are moving the thread to the lounge.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want something and can afford it buy it. If you want it and can’t afford it don’t buy it. Vendors will charge whatever they can get. Unless everyone stops paying insane prices for goods the prices will not drop. The OP and others her and on the other thread seem to be confused about what the other thread’s OP was posting about. Some companies in the reefing hobby and elsewhere purposefully raise prices the coming weeks before large sale days, like black friday, then add a discount to drop the price to what it was the prior month. This is an issue and the actual point of the other thread that many misconstrued. The fake sales/lies are not consumer friendly. When I see that I never buy from that company. However, not everyone notices these tricks. The other OP did a favor to others to keep an eye out for this practice.

OP
OP
AKG

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude why you bashing Psammocora? My favorite coral dude come on
There was no bashing but perhaps live sales would be more appreciated if vendors weren't looking to squeeze every
Can you imagine risking millions of dollars and having the weight of hundreds, if not thousands, of people on your shoulders and then being told you can’t make more than 20% margins???

We’d watch almost every company in existence go under if they had to cap profits to 20%. As a business owner myself, I won’t even think about a job with 20% margins. It’s a complete non starter. I’d go bankrupt.

To simply cover the costs of DOA fish and corals, a LFS has to have margins well above 20%. Let alone wages, rent, insurance, taxes, etc…
Man don't get into the liquor industry, beer is 10-15% tops wine 33% at the high end and hard liquor is about 20% depending on market and if someone else is using it as a loss leader/draw to get people on the door.

Some industries just have really crap margin. Don't even get me started on alcoholic beverage industry. Biggest profiteers are the middle men and everyone else gets bonked

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There was no bashing but perhaps live sales would be more appreciated if vendors weren't looking to squeeze every

Man don't get into the liquor industry, beer is 10-15% tops wine 33% at the high end and hard liquor is about 20% depending on market and if someone else is using it as a loss leader/draw to get people on the door.

Some industries just have really crap margin. Don't even get me started on alcoholic beverage industry. Biggest profiteers are the middle men and everyone else gets bonked

When you can sell billions a year, margins can go down to a degree. I believe Costco works on a 14% margin or something like that.

Small companies in this hobby can’t run on those low of margins.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s tough to be a business in these times. Gave employees 30% raise this year since we are as desperate to keep them as other businesses are to hire them. Added retirement plan and extra 2 weeks of vacation on top of that - employees making more than us with none of the downside risks lol
Wow, wish my employer would do half that and we are skilled in demand, none of the other local competitors are any different. Nobody gives sick pay, only 1 week PTO, and bottom of the barrel health along with measly ira match. It's almost like they all got together and made a deal to pay Panda Express wages to skilled blue collar workers

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, wish my employer would do half that and we are skilled in demand, none of the other local competitors are any different. Nobody gives sick pay, only 1 week PTO, and bottom of the barrel health along with measly ira match. It's almost like they all got together and made a deal to pay Panda Express wages to skilled blue collar workers
Panda Express is always hiring.... American Beauty is real.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think the prices are wrong. The profit is often predatory though. If the prices were up to pay collectors in the places these animals actually come from, I would support them fully. However it seems a lot of the increase is due to hustle culture. Speculative investments and treating coral strains like pokemon cards. Of course that crap never lasts. Eventually money will drain back out of the hobby. This stuff is always in cycles.

Couple days ago I saw a youtube video called something like "top 5 most profitable corals to grow" and I knew this current cycle is about to be over. Sucks for the business in the short run but better for the hobby.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back