Venusta Angelfish going through QT

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

I got a nice 3.5" purple masked angel yesterday. I have him in QT. After thorough inspection, I noticed that his right fin is pretty damaged and his left fine is almost perfect. He is very spunky and lively. He has a solid body weight but I am not getting him to eat anything. I have offered mysis and nori with no luck. I have more food offerings in the arsenal but I have not tried them yet (BBS, tigger pods, selcon enriched mysis, NLS pellets)

His eyes are clear but his body is a little pale. I have a pair of venustus angels and they are very colorful and the blue and yellow pop. This guy is a little pale and has a couple white spots.

I just gave him an 8 minute FW bath with methylene blue added. He did very well with the dip and I added him to a 5 gallon tank that I use during the 12 day tank transfer method.

I am not going to add copper or any other medication right now.

I think at every 70 hours or so I am going to do an 8 min FW bath with MB and then transfer him to a sterile tank.

Does this sound like a solid regiment for treating a fish in QT?

13342975_1130311147025339_4703199774092191279_n_zpsphe9hcay.jpg

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not eating is a very bad sign. I would try to get him to feed. Try half clams, a drop of garlic on it and let it sit for a few minutes and put the clam inside the tank and see if he will eat it. Try not to be staring at the tank during that time too. Walk away and come back in 10 if the clam is untouched take it out so it doesn't foul the water.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see any flukes (tiny white specks) come out of him when you did the FW dip?

robby2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used cyclops with success when everything else failed. Even when live blackworms didn't work...

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see any flukes (tiny white specks) come out of him when you did the FW dip?

Thanks for asking. No but that did not mean none came off of him. I used a white bucket for my FW dip so that might had something to do with not being able to see any white specks.

I will post a video of him shortly.

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not eating is a very bad sign. I would try to get him to feed. Try half clams, a drop of garlic on it and let it sit for a few minutes and put the clam inside the tank and see if he will eat it. Try not to be staring at the tank during that time too. Walk away and come back in 10 if the clam is untouched take it out so it doesn't foul the water.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah it is a bad sign but I have not tried everything in my arsenal either. My local seafood dept did not have half clams for sale but they did have some new zealand half mussels. Perhaps I will try this. I always heard that clams were a good first offering to picky eaters but I never tried it.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually flukes would turn from transparent to opaque after few minutes in the dip and start moving on the fish before detaching. if you observed the fish in the dip you would have noticed them if they were there.

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
usually flukes would turn from transparent to opaque after few minutes in the dip and start moving on the fish before detaching. if you observed the fish in the dip you would have noticed them if they were there.

Ok thanks for clarifying! I didn't observe the fish during the FW bath because he was easy going the entire time. Just swimming around and seemed not to be stressed so I just got his new sterile tank ready during his dip. I didn't see anything fall off of him nor did I really watch enough to be make such an observation.

Bronc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great looking fish. Good luck with him!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for clarifying! I didn't observe the fish during the FW bath because he was easy going the entire time. Just swimming around and seemed not to be stressed so I just got his new sterile tank ready during his dip. I didn't see anything fall off of him nor did I really watch enough to be make such an observation.

Just for future reference, here is a picture of flukes that came off of a tang during a FW dip. Some are bigger than others, because the water was circulating with an airstone. Gives an idea of what to look for.
1459813172723-jpg.336938

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

Here's a video of him. Here are my observations of him. He swims constantly. He does not hide at all. He swims upside down often but that is a common with this species. He does not flash against anything but he just seems figgity or anxious. His breathing is not real heavy. He is very strong.

I just can't get him to eat.

I have offered nori, mysis, PE calanus and Tigger pods.

I did see him nip at the Tigger pods but they agitated him so I removed the Tigger pods.

If he was not so active and unwilling to find refuge in the large PVC fittings, i wouldn't worry too bad but him not eating really worries me.

The last two venustus angels I bought were devouring mysis from the get go and I would enrich them with selcon.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

Here's a video of him. Here are my observations of him. He swims constantly. He does not hide at all. He swims upside down often but that is a common with this species. He does not flash against anything but he just seems figgity or anxious. His breathing is not real heavy. He is very strong.

I just can't get him to eat.

I have offered nori, mysis, PE calanus and Tigger pods.

I did see him nip at the Tigger pods but they agitated him so I removed the Tigger pods.

If he was not so active and unwilling to find refuge in the large PVC fittings, i wouldn't worry too bad but him not eating really worries me.

The last two venustus angels I bought were devouring mysis from the get go and I would enrich them with selcon.

Got any sponges? Pineapple sponges grow like crazy in my sump... those might get him eating. You can try clam on the half shell as well. I've had Juvi large angels go after krill, silver side heads and even gulf coast shrimp (those were for a box puffer but every body loved them).

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know frozen cyclopeeze, clams/mussels on the half shell, live blackworms have all been suggested (and very good suggestions they are.)

However, when I can't get a fish to eat this has become my "go to" food.

51900146.jpg

Justin D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10" blue face angel would not eat for 2 weeks he would not eat anything i gave him 18 different foods some one told me try Clams on the half shell is soon as the clam hit the sand bed he was all over it i gave him clams for a week then I mixed it with different foods now he eats everything I have him and he is still with me 2 and a half years later

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local grocery store didn't have clams of a half shell. I live pretty close to the fresh market. I will stop by and see if they have some.

I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Thanks for the reply

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local grocery store didn't have clams of a half shell. I live pretty close to the fresh market. I will stop by and see if they have some.

I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Thanks for the reply

Freeze any seafood you buy from the grocery store (or elsewhere) before feeding to your fish. Just on the off chance it contains pathogens.

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well am encouraged. I fed him some gulf shrimp enriched with selcon and fed him NLS pellets. He is activly trying to eat both food items but spits them out once they are in his mouth for a second or two.

He's trying but it's like he doesn't know how to swallow.

It's better than what he has been doing thus far and that is ignoring anything I offer him.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back