Vermetid Snail Extermination

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better chance at world peace than eliminating the small vermetid type. I gave up awhile ago and they don't seem to have a negative effect on anything in my tank.

I do have a larger type of vermetid in my tank I go after aggressively. It puts out numerous, large "strings" that can noticeably irritate my corals.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar issue as OP, I've noticed them in the tank forever, but I never paid any mind to them until recently when a coral started receding around them, and began my research.

I agree that one will never rid the tank of these critters, it would be impossible to get all of them, but with management, I believe I can keep their numbers in check, especially those around corals.

Tank teardowns should never be the first line of defense against any pest with very few exceptions, you will never achieve tank maturity this way.

My plan is to divide the tank into sections and crush everything I can find within that section and allow the tank to absorb the nutrient load generated by their death, repeat weekly.

Lauramills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I never really freaked out about a few— especially when you don’t see webs. And I do believe bumblebee snails will do a good number on them. But I have seen a lot of people like the OP talk about a full blown “infestation”, and I suppose it’s easiest not to let it get to that point when you can just lift the rock out at the first sign and bust them up.
I have these so bad in my tank that they’re actually growing on my snails shells. I’ve noticed them for almost a year now and they never really been an issue until the last two weeks I noticed that are coral are looking real doll and dad lik I’ve noticed them for almost a year now and they never really been an issue until the last two weeks I noticed that are coral are looking real dull and almost dead at lights out

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine. Just give them a good rinse before you put them back in the tank. Good luck on getting them under control.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back