Vermetid snails equals tank restart

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had vermetid snails in my frag/qt tank for about 1.5yrs and I give up!

I'm moving and feeling the need to restart the nuvo20. I need to get this under control so I could start to put my corals in the 525XL.

What is the safest way to restart?

My idea was to drop all media and corals into a 10gl while I nuke the nuvo 20 for a solid week.

While transferring corals into 10gl, I'd inspect each coral and crush/scrape every vermetid I see.

Same process once transfering back into nuvo20 with new, fresh, 10 month old LR from the 525XL that has minimal bacteria from 2 clown fish and a med sized trachyphillia. I do expect a param swing so I will be doing 50% weekly water changes.

This is my first time starting a tank with about 30 frags and a clam so I am a little nervous about doing so solo.

Thanks in advance!

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Never heard of someone resetting their tank due to vermitid snails. Is it that bad? Can you share some pics with us? I use bumblebee snails to control vermitid snails it have worked for me. I also have a 6-line wrasse. There are some many anecdotes where 6-line wrasse or a pink streaked wrasse has eaten vermitid snails.

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Never heard of someone resetting their tank due to vermitid snails. Is it that bad? Can you share some pics with us? I use bumblebee snails to control vermitid snails it have worked for me. I also have a 6-line wrasse. There are some many anecdotes where 6-line wrasse or a pink streaked wrasse has eaten vermitid snails.

Restarting the tank is the most common and successful way of defeating them, no other method has been reported successful (reef snow, reefrx, bumblebee snail, 6line, yellow coris, arrow crab, emerald crab, blue leg hermit, red hermit & bumblebee shrimp).

I currently have about 6 bumblebee snails, 1 blue leg hermit, 4 red hermits & 1 bumblebee shrimp somewhere and I've yet to see one attach itself to a vermetid snail. A waste of money over the past year.

It's not as bad as it seems but I dont want any in my display tank.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't restart the tank. You didn't intentionally introduce vermetid snails to your tank now, yet here you are with a tank full of vermetids. Chances are they will unintentionally find their way into your rebooted tank too. Unless you're militant with your coral QT procedure, which is totally different than fish QT, you're not going to be able to keep them out.

I speak from experience, I have a ridiculous amount of vermetid snails. I just leave them alone unless their bothering corals. It's a pain to keep them at bay until my acros encrust their frag tiles, but after that, they don't bother anything.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people say they just went away are they referring to the tube itself or just the snail inside?
I had them and did nothing about them unless they were bothering a coral after the 2 year mark they disappeared I’m not sure if the tank equaled out or what but they are gone

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I disturb my tank it looks like spider webs on everything. My acans love it because they are just shaking hands and my acans are older than some members here. :p

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not but i have them and they are kept under control by my starfish. I never see them except in my filters because of this. Same with sponges my star fish eats those too.

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of star fish do you have? Just curious.

Never figured out exactly what it is. Because petco misslabled it. They labled it as a red fromia. But clearly it wasnt red lol Its two shades of grey in stripe pattersn with bubbles on it.

Ivd had him for a year ina half now.. and he does good.

Here isa picture when i got him. I believe is a Friant ,nardoa variation of starfish. I see him cruising around my tank all the time. He stops and squishes into tight spots to get to vermitids and sponges.

20190813_214715.jpg

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the replies all.
im wondering if a wrasse keeps the wiggler population in check for you guys. I don’t see the population ever going down but if I can sustain the population, I wouldn’t mind leaving them.

ill have to buy a six line or a coris to see if that helps.

Back