Vermetid snails on CUC shells

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went into my lFS to pickup some various CUC snails. Some of the trochus snails had vermetid snails on their shells ( I don't have pictures but can get some tomorrow). I didn't buy any of the ones that didn't have vermetid snails because I figured they could have eggs or something on there anyways.

My question is is that a fair assumption and could I scrub their shells with something before putting them in to reduce the risk? I don't have a quarantine system currently but do need to get some CUC members soon-ish

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scrubbing the snail's shell is not a bad idea. But I don't think that will completely guarantee your success. I have scrubbed snail shells to remove algae and aiptasia in the past and had no issues.

I don't have a QT system either. But I do have 5g, 10g and 20g tanks I use for holding things for a few days. A HOB filter system is all you need in the short term. I do some wild collecting (I'm in Florida) and most of what I bring home goes into a holding tank for anywhere from 1 day 2 a couple of weeks. I don't use any medications or chemicals in those tanks.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back