Vermetid Snails?

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm assuming these are all vermedit snails. Picture below, dead center, is the big tube. I cut that as low as I could with bone cutters and cut a portion of the worm, couldn't get the rest. Used the cutters everywhere below the tube I cut off to kill it. Not sure if they can regrow. Below this pic I have hundreds of little clearish tubes around the tank. I haven't looked that hard for the big ones but I haven't seen any. Are all these little ones the same? There's no way I can remove this many as they are on all the rocks.

20221011_171026.jpg

20221011_171948.jpg
20221011_165926.jpg
20221011_165947.jpg

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah looks like vermetid snails, some people say bumblebee snails can help keep them in check. It's going to be tough to completely eradicate them though. Some people cant stand them but I have a load in my tank and I've never really been that bothered by them tbh. They don't seem to cause much harm.

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep Vermetid Snails, most reefers have them, Bumblebee snails will help a bit but generally they will not completely eradicate them. I have just learned to live with them, I will break them off during routine maintenance and I do have a healthy population of Bumblebee snails still have them though. Good Luck!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never found bb snails to be effective, but they are the only thing I know of that might go for them. I’m sure there is a wrasse for it though.
With that many it will be hard to get rid of them all as others have mentioned.
They will release a mucus net which can irritate corals, so I don’t like to keep them around.

OP
OP
stephanjupillat

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks! I dose coral snow 3 times a week so thinking I may try dosing it every day now. Will add 10 bumblebee snails to next fish delivery though I understand there’s only a small chance they’ll put a dent in them. Sharp little ****ers. May just tick them off and break all the heads occasionally

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 27.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back