Vermetid snails

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have Vermetid snails and was wondering if anyone has used Mike Palettas strategy with Chalk to lower the population of them? I have SPS corals in my system, any adverse effects to them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have Vermetid snails and was wondering if anyone has used Mike Palettas strategy with Chalk to lower the population of them? I have SPS corals in my system, any adverse effects to them?
I know of that method and not comfortable with it. My confidence lays with Manual removal breaking them off at the base and addition of bumble bee snails eat them while slow - but they do

OP
OP
WVReefJunkie

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How many Bumble Bee snails recommended for a 315 gallon display. I was going to get thirty snails, they are on the larger size.

deplinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the chalk (calcium carbonate) treatment to help with vermetid snails. I don’t know if using this caused a bout of RTN or not, but i have lost most of the sps in my frag tank and a few colonies of Pocillipora in my display tank. I am trying the Triton RTN-X treatments now.

I cleaned my protein skimmer today and there were vermetid snails encrusted all over it. They are everywhere in my sump. I am very discouraged and I am thinking about starting over or shutting down.

I put 50 bumblebee snails in my display, frag, sump and overflow. I have seen them eating the vermetid snails but there are so many that I can’t see how they will kill them all.

Also my melanurus wrasse disappeared and I need to get another one. The wrasse seemed to eat the snails when they are floating around looking for a spot to attach too. I did not have as manny when the wrasse was on the prowl.

Back