Vermetid Worm Outbreak (Tube Worms) - How do I get rid of them? Why do they only seem to Like Monipo

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with wrasse or anything eating vermetids. However, I do have experience with cutting them out with utility razor blades and ic superglue. The razor blade is more difficult and hit or miss. I don't know if I accidentally cut into the worm or completely removed them. If it's clean and completely removed, problem solved. If you leave a little or cut into their flesh, they respawning and even spread elsewhere if the flow picks them up.

Ic superglue is best. Just a drop over their opening and they starve out in a couple weeks. I've done this personally and it works. They starve and the tube bleaches out. Your corals will grow right over them and hide the unsightly glue.

It is never a good idea to leave them be. They multiply exponentially when they bloom. They also spit a slimy web that they use to feed which, not only irritates coral, but it also coats the coral preventing removal of waste and absorbing nutrients. The process isn't immediate, but it will stunt your coral growth and possibly kill it. Melev's reef did an article where he let it be and it ultimately wiped his 400 gallon. For what it's worth, that's enough to convince me to spend on some ic superglue on the little buggers.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hardy are these things? I bought some used pukani from someone who tore their tank down a little over a month ago. And it is absolutely riddled with them. Supposedly, the rock sat outside in the cold for awhile. Couple of rocks even had ice on them. Been in my barrel curing for 2-3 weeks, and not sure if they are alive or not.
If I start my cure over and bleach soak for awhile will that be 100%?

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How hardy are these things? I bought some used pukani from someone who tore their tank down a little over a month ago. And it is absolutely riddled with them. Supposedly, the rock sat outside in the cold for awhile. Couple of rocks even had ice on them. Been in my barrel curing for 2-3 weeks, and not sure if they are alive or not.
If I start my cure over and bleach soak for awhile will that be 100%?
I'd acid wash those rocks or remove all the tubes.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to use acid if at all possible. This pukani is some super brittle stuff already.
Plus, the fumes are ridiculously toxic.
Will bleach kill them?
There is probably 500+ tubes on this rock. 50lbs+

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to use acid if at all possible. This pukani is some super brittle stuff already.
Plus, the fumes are ridiculously toxic.
Will bleach kill them?
There is probably 500+ tubes on this rock. 50lbs+
Bleach will kill them, but they are probably already dead. I don't recommend acid for anything brittle either.

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind the aesthetics, I use a drop of ic superglue on the tip of the vermetid. This prevents them from sending out feeders and they starve and die without releasing any new colonies. Downside, if you have a lot, then you will see a lot of small tubes with dried superglue on it.

It's short term. Once they tube bleaches the worm inside is dead and you can break the tubes off with no problems and future outbreaks.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tubes are still brown, and I've noticed some new ones showing up since I put the rock in.
Rock supposedly sat outside in the cold for a couple weeks before I got it. Couldn't have believed anything would survive, but here we are...
Gonna start over, bleach and pressure wash.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200309_100921.jpg

Brown ones were not there when I started curing.

Txplicit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tubes are still brown, and I've noticed some new ones showing up since I put the rock in.
Rock supposedly sat outside in the cold for a couple weeks before I got it. Couldn't have believed anything would survive, but here we are...
Gonna start over, bleach and pressure wash.
I wouldn't recommend this unless it is the ultimate last resort. You are basically nuking the bacteria colony. Furthermore, it doesn't necessarily kill the vermetid because they will shut their tubes for a short period of time to battle toxins.

In either case, it is your tank and you decide what is best for you. Good luck though. Hope it gets solved.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread but I will contribute.

I had a population explode in my tank, I was using a tweezers to crack them all and it didnt help in the long run. I havent been touching them anymore and they seem to not be spreading. I have read it elsewhere and I agree that the best approach is to let them be. They will eventually go away or dwindle in numbers.

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend this unless it is the ultimate last resort. You are basically nuking the bacteria colony. Furthermore, it doesn't necessarily kill the vermetid because they will shut their tubes for a short period of time to battle toxins.

In either case, it is your tank and you decide what is best for you. Good luck though. Hope it gets solved.

I'm aware that it will kill the bacteria. That's fine. I can reseed it. I have some good clean rock and bacteria starter.

Spent most of the day mashing tubes so far. Well over 1000 of them and still several rocks to go. I'm going to soak with bleach or vinegar. Which is more effective on them? Acid or base?

Steven Nelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throughout this loooong thread, which I admittedly I haven’t entirely read, these guys seem to be villainized. The tubes are problematic in that their sharp edges can cause scrapes and cuts, and are butt ugly when they proliferate. To remedy this, I snip them at the base with side cutters. The ‘worms’ themselves are extremely helpful detritus eaters. Stirring the bottom will bring out copious mucous webs, which trap the detritus, and which, within minutes, will be retracted back into the worm for consumption. This is a good thing!

Michael ross1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like you, I used to fret about them. I posted on at least 3 forums, got a ton of well meaning advice, and drove myself crazy trying them all. Once they get into the tank, you cannot get rid of them. There is no predator reliable enough to get rid of them completely. I've left them alone since then, and have had no problems with them the last 3 years.

Here's a few things I've found out. One, they do not harm coral nor impede their growth. Two, encrusting coral will encrust right over them, even monti cap. Three, as the tank matures, they will recede into the darker recesses of the rock where you either cannot see them or the coral will catch your eye first. In fact, I think they stabilize my rockwork by anchoring them together!!

So, my advise: leave them alone, don't drive yourself crazy, just concentrate on your coral management and they will recede into places you don't care about.
I'm new to saltwater reef tanks/ fish... I bought a used red sea with live rock I e noticed a few couple red couple white ...the red are in the live rock that was in tank the white are on a coral frag I bought. I thought they were kinda cool..... But never seen in my brand new tank yet .... Guessing it only happens in established tanks

Charlie brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some awsome luck with bumble bee snails had my nano they were getting out of control, so I picked up like 6 and I see maybe 2 or 3 sometimes from like seeing 20 to 30 of them so I think they are doing a good job of getting almost rid of them completely

Steven Nelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to saltwater reef tanks/ fish... I bought a used red sea with live rock I e noticed a few couple red couple white ...the red are in the live rock that was in tank the white are on a coral frag I bought. I thought they were kinda cool..... But never seen in my brand new tank yet .... Guessing it only happens in established tanks
Periodically, if they’re bothering me aesthetically I snap off the offending tubes, knowing they’ll eventually reappear.
They are detrivores - possibly the most effective one in your tank.
Notice that when the substrate is stirred or when you feed they excrete long strands of mucous. If you have many, the tank can look like a cobwebbed mess. Those sticky tendrils capture particles in the water column, then retract their webs to consume their catch. Within a few minutes the tank returns to normal. I consider them to be an important part of my CUC.
my palova and montepora have covered several tubes, making very cool, atypical shapes.

Deepdiver200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a problem with them, they are outstanding filter feeders and don’t pose any harm other than being visually unpleasant while they are cleaning any over feeding mess or tank stir up’s. I just let mine be.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bunch of bumble bee snails and my sorbid worms and vertimid snails have been kept in check (although I will say i have a few left..they are under control(

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 63 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back