Vermetid?

Reefer37

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 30, 2019
Messages
364
Reaction score
157
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help ID whether this is a vermetid snail or some other sort of tube worm? It looks like it's growing out from the skeleton of my acan.

IMG_20200408_112810.jpg IMG_20200408_112827.jpg
 
It looks more like a feather duster than a Vermetid IMO. Does the tube sort of curl up at the base? Have you ever seen anything come out of the tube? (especially at feeding time)
 
I think y'all are right, do I leave them or what? I just wasn't sure with it growing on the skeleton.
 
Is it hard or soft? some feather dusters have soft tubes. Vermatids are always really hard. I have some red feather dusters that have hard shells but do not stick out off the rock. I do have vermatids that stick out tho.

If it has feathers out, its not a vermatid, if you feed, stir up detritus or sand and you see a snotty web come out of the end, then its a vermatid and you should try to destroy it. (breaking the end of the tube won't kill it)
 
Fan worm tube likely
 
Could also be a spionid, wont really know until you see something poking out of there.
 
Is it hard or soft? some feather dusters have soft tubes. Vermatids are always really hard. I have some red feather dusters that have hard shells but do not stick out off the rock. I do have vermatids that stick out tho.

If it has feathers out, its not a vermatid, if you feed, stir up detritus or sand and you see a snotty web come out of the end, then its a vermatid and you should try to destroy it. (breaking the end of the tube won't kill it)
Could also be a spionid, wont really know until you see something poking out of there.
I've never seen anything come out of them and never any snot or anything like vermetids. I hadn't noticed them until a few days ago so I guess we will see. I'll try and really pay attention tomorrow when I feed.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new