Vermited snails - I cannot stand them

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Interesting. I have an abundance of asterina now and few if any vermatids. My asterina are in the hundred tho. They do a good job of only getting on the front glass at night. I though about a harlequin shrimp but am not sure if my six line would kill it :thinking-face:
Mine was very safe with 6 line until Harlequin tusk went in and totally slipped my mind it would be dinner

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was very safe with 6 line until Harlequin tusk went in and totally slipped my mind it would be dinner
Thanks. Maybe I'll give a harlequin shrimp a try. I do have a cleaner shrimp and the six line doesn't bother it but it's bigger than the fish.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there ANYTHING I can do to get rid of these things? I cannot stand them anymore. I have taken rocks out and scraped them, glued their pipes, added tons of bumble bee snails.... they keep. coming. back.

I'm ready to go nuclear on them - what are my options? Is a full tank tear-down the only way? I've also heard that can be hit or miss... Is there anything that eats them in the wild? If not, then why aren't they all over reefs in the ocean? Something has to want to take care of them..
I had a pretty large explosion of them, came in on a later 8lb chunk of ocean rock to help seed my tank. I thought for sure I would be removing them all and was prepping to do so. I do not know what did it, but now I see none of them, shell and everything gone.

Idk if it was the hermits or pitho or emerald crags. Idk if it was the mandarin, no idea if it was the sand tube worms or the many feather dusters that out conpeted them, but they vanished.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting aiptasia in both of my tanks. I had a small amount of vermatids pop up. I found aiptasia x down the tube killed them. Works better on those than aiptasia..

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting aiptasia in both of my tanks. I had a small amount of vermatids pop up. I found aiptasia x down the tube killed them. Works better on those than aiptasia..

Why waste the expensive aiptasia x, when super glue will do the trick?

Here is my mode of population control, 1 being the first thing I'll try and the next steps if 1 doesn't work.

1. Manual removal through frag clippers. Just destroy them. Get them as close to the base to kill the snail. Also free food for corals and wrasses.

2. Superglue down the chute. For those in the coral colonies where a fragging tool will break skeletons, I just plug up their holes with glue, wait a few days to a week, and take off the glue to reveal the now dead snails.

3. Resort to coral snow. Not sure if this actually helps, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt. I did see population decline with continued use, but I'm not sure if it's due to population control using the first two methods leading to less spawning or if it's the coral snow. But it works.

I personally have not seen anything eat them straight up, but I have not yet tried bumblebee snails

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why waste the expensive aiptasia x, when super glue will do the trick?

Here is my mode of population control, 1 being the first thing I'll try and the next steps if 1 doesn't work.

1. Manual removal through frag clippers. Just destroy them. Get them as close to the base to kill the snail. Also free food for corals and wrasses.

2. Superglue down the chute. For those in the coral colonies where a fragging tool will break skeletons, I just plug up their holes with glue, wait a few days to a week, and take off the glue to reveal the now dead snails.

3. Resort to coral snow. Not sure if this actually helps, but I'm sure it doesn't hurt. I did see population decline with continued use, but I'm not sure if it's due to population control using the first two methods leading to less spawning or if it's the coral snow. But it works.

I personally have not seen anything eat them straight up, but I have not yet tried bumblebee snails
Simple.... Only had a couple. I was in there treating aiptasia already. So why not... Thanks Captain obvious.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya man. Vermitids are super irritating. I clip them where i can see them but some are hidden. I see the webs but cant see exactly where they comin from. There web must have some kind of sting because anything it touches closes up. Got a zoa colony that a section is closed because of this one i cant find. Just see the web

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pretty large explosion of them, came in on a later 8lb chunk of ocean rock to help seed my tank. I thought for sure I would be removing them all and was prepping to do so. I do not know what did it, but now I see none of them, shell and everything gone.

Idk if it was the hermits or pitho or emerald crags. Idk if it was the mandarin, no idea if it was the sand tube worms or the many feather dusters that out conpeted them, but they vanished.
If you ever figure out what you did, there is a million dollar business there ...

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever figure out what you did, there is a million dollar business there ...
I think it was a combination of all of it. I saw the mandarin one time suck a tube. The hermits had to have been responsible for snapping the tubes off, because how would they dissappear?? Do the tubes break down without a snail in them?

The competition for filter feeding is pretty absurd in my tank. I have about 30 large feather dusters on the side of my tank below the gyre and in another lower flow area, and a bunch of kenya tree babies, and pinapple sponges, like 6 sand tube worms.

My tongan nassarius snails are pretty vicious, maybe they can suck them out too? Idk, the last 4 I saw in my tank stuck around for a while on an astrea snail, i thought they were still on it and it was hiding, but I counted up my snails and they must be gone now too. It has a couple small feather dusters on it and some GHA so I can't quite see if any of the tube remains or not.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was a combination of all of it. I saw the mandarin one time suck a tube. The hermits had to have been responsible for snapping the tubes off, because how would they dissappear?? Do the tubes break down without a snail in them?

The competition for filter feeding is pretty absurd in my tank. I have about 30 large feather dusters on the side of my tank below the gyre and in another lower flow area, and a bunch of kenya tree babies, and pinapple sponges, like 6 sand tube worms.

My tongan nassarius snails are pretty vicious, maybe they can suck them out too? Idk, the last 4 I saw in my tank stuck around for a while on an astrea snail, i thought they were still on it and it was hiding, but I counted up my snails and they must be gone now too. It has a couple small feather dusters on it and some GHA so I can't quite see if any of the tube remains or not.
I doubt hermit crabs can break the tubes. Maybe the emerald crab if it's a big one. Do you have any urchins?

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral snow. You need to dose it daily for a month straight to start seeing the effects. I like to dose early in the morning before I head to work. Used to have vermatids all over my rocks and taking over around my coral bases and frag plugs. After the first month I noticed many had died and new ones no longer were appearing. Another couple months gone by using coral snow every other day and it's hard to find one when I feed the tank anymore. It works but like most things it takes time. This is the only method I've found to keep their numbers in check.

NotoriousDMC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My recourse has been to break them off at base with pliers as I can reach them. For those I cannot reach, I have obtained bumblee snails. At first (about 4 months ago felt they were being lazy and not helping much but a few weeks ago realized, most of those things are gone and I see no webbing as I did before)
I hate them, but this has been exact approach as well. Are they “gone”? Nope. But I don’t see webbing all over when I feed reef roids, turkey baste my rocks, etc.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont get the big deal about these or maybe I got lucky or there are different kinds. I have a pectina right next to a big one and the pectina is happy! I have a lot of questions if ya'll dont mind.

Do they cast webs as babies? I see only one big obvious one but have tons of these little spikey purple(could be coraline) things in my tank. I only noticed the web on the huge one and that was when flow was off.

Does flow have to be off for them to cast webs?

Why do people say to glue them? What happens of you just break them off? Do eggs come out or something?

Do bumble bees reproduce in tank because I have a ton of some sort of baby snails all in my tank! How many should i get per gallon if they dont reproduce?

I never paid attention to them but always wondered what these liitle things are but I am finally going to permanently place my corals and wondering what to do about these tiny things on my rock! (I should probably get a pic) I dont want to place my coral over them and later it be a problem.

The big one is obvious and a somewhat of a different color but still purplish!

Do they all have flat tops as babys and tube looking because some are growing curved and some dont have a flat top but most do.

I just took another look and most of these seem to have a different color on very top of them and the rest is solid purple. Kind of a cream or clear hard to tell but different!

Sorry If I highjacked this thread but lots of responses and lately bugging me since I just noticed that web the other day and wanting to glue down my corals! I didn't want to make another post! LOL To many lately! haha. Kind of lost interest in my tank for a year from illness but now back hard core! lol

Last edited:

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10/4...worked for me. Get everything stirred up and those webs out and dose the snow.
What is 10/4 So stirring up the tank makes webs come out? They have to be out for this to work? They are all over my tank but just not sure if they are vermatid because most are very tiny and I dont see webs except for one very big one!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumble bee snails work for me but only in a small tank. I had a ton on my 180g a couple of times through the years. They tend to just start going away after a while. It seems to help if you ignore them and pretend they aren't there :winking-face:
I am going to be permanetly placing corals and I think these tiny things must be them. If I ignore them (as I have been doing) can they harm my corals if I later glue them on top or all around them? I have had them for a whole and only one is obvious and putting out webs but not harming my pectina right next to it!

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I dont get the big deal about these or maybe I got lucky or there are different kinds. I have a pectina right next to a big one and the pectina is happy! I have a lot of questions if ya'll dont mind.

Do they cast webs as babies? I see only one big obvious one but have tons of these little spikey purple(could be coraline) things in my tank. I only noticed the web on the huge one and that was when flow was off.

Does flow have to be off for them to cast webs?

Why do people say to glue them? What happens of you just break them off? Do eggs come out or something?

Do bumble bees reproduce in tank because I have a ton of some sort of baby snails all in my tank! How many should i get per gallon if they dont reproduce?

I never paid attention to them but always wondered what these liitle things are but I am finally going to permanently place my corals and wondering what to do about these tiny things on my rock! (I should probably get a pic) I dont want to place my coral over them and later it be a problem.

The big one is obvious and a somewhat of a different color but still purplish!

Do they all have flat tops as babys and tube looking because some are growing curved and some dont have a flat top but most do.

I just took another look and most of these seem to have a different color on very top of them and the rest is solid purple. Kind of a cream or clear hard to tell but different!

Sorry If I highjacked this thread but lots of responses and lately bugging me since I just noticed that web the other day and wanting to glue down my corals! I didn't want to make another post! LOL To many lately! haha. Kind of lost interest in my tank for a year from illness but now back hard core! lol
Sounds like you don't know what to look for? If you have them, you'll know soon enough and very much hate them. They make rock look bad, they clog pipes, and they affect corals.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back