Vermitid snail in new tank

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new 90gallon fish tank with a few fishes. I recently got my first coral frag and started noticing web like stuff in the tank. After reaearching it is due to vermitid snails. I removed all rocks and kept them in the sun. The tank now only has fishes, sand, heater and wave maker. I still see new web stuff. I can’t even spot them ANYWHERE. PLEASE HELP ON HOW TO GET RID OF THEM. Should I remove the sand and live it in the sun dry? My tank looks soo dirty already.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They have a tube. Simply place a dab of gel super glue over the hole and they will starve.
Bumble Bee snails eat them but will turn on coral and inverts if they run out of food source. Could also be Spinoid worm

Last edited:

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s a massive over-reaction. You should be able to follow the string back to where it’s coming from. Sounds to me like it’s something other than vermitids. Do you have pictures? Killing your live rock and devastating your biological filter over a vermitid snail is insane. I feel like this is the result of the community’s collective fear mongering about pests. A couple vermitids are completely manageable without taking all your rock out.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s a massive over-reaction. You should be able to follow the string back to where it’s coming from. Sounds to me like it’s something other than vermitids. Do you have pictures? Killing your live rock and devastating your biological filter over a vermitid snail is insane. I feel like this is the result of the community’s collective fear mongering about pests. A couple vermitids are completely manageable without taking all your rock out.
Yes indeed lol.... 25 years with vermetid, if that's what they actually are in this case... OP needs to step back , breathe a second and realize it's part of the 'game ' .... they can be managed.
Removing rocks , sand etc and setting them in the sun? No idea where this advise may have emanated from... my word....

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a pic with the rocks, but it was like halloween with rhe webs everywhere. I have attached the after pics and tried to clean up the web mess. I am a beginner and still learning about saltwater aquarium care. Again, I couldn’t spot one single vermitid snail.

Attachments

• EE255BC4-9B99-4791-A8FB-507BA8328DB6.jpeg
    EE255BC4-9B99-4791-A8FB-507BA8328DB6.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 4DB1AA9E-3816-418F-826D-0E98C6A116EA.jpeg
    4DB1AA9E-3816-418F-826D-0E98C6A116EA.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 79DD6424-F07E-4E1D-B08B-431B29E8EF9D.jpeg
    79DD6424-F07E-4E1D-B08B-431B29E8EF9D.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 52
  • DE4D45EE-688B-4E94-BC4C-6AF697AA1915.jpeg
    DE4D45EE-688B-4E94-BC4C-6AF697AA1915.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 992BCD45-2B77-471A-B5D2-C79749603786.jpeg
    992BCD45-2B77-471A-B5D2-C79749603786.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes indeed lol.... 25 years with vermetid, if that's what they actually are in this case... OP needs to step back , breathe a second and realize it's part of the 'game ' .... they can be managed.
Removing rocks , sand etc and setting them in the sun? No idea where this advise may have emanated from... my word....
please take a look at the pics. If you guys think I am overreacting, its actually relieving for me. I just had the sump setup with refugium, skimmer etc and finally thought of getting corals and this happened. I definitely need to learn a lott.

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a pic with the rocks, but it was like halloween with rhe webs everywhere. I have attached the after pics and tried to clean up the web mess. I am a beginner and still learning about saltwater aquarium care. Again, I couldn’t spot one single vermitid snail.
I did try new fish flood (flakes), that is what most of that is in the pics.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please take a look at the pics. If you guys think I am overreacting, its actually relieving for me. I just had the sump setup with refugium, skimmer etc and finally thought of getting corals and this happened. I definitely need to learn a lott.
As Max alluded to and Vette suggested these may not be vermitid. I've got a ton of them on my rock ( nuisances but not reef killers regardless imo), whenever I break up the webs with flow they are gone right away, within minutes. Sucked up in filtration, and never floating on surface....

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd clean the glass good inside the tank and see if that stuff comes back. Almost looks like water marks if the water level had dropped a few inches for a while (like when you removed the rocks).

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Max alluded to and Vette suggested these may not be vermitid. I've got a ton of them on my rock ( nuisances but not reef killers regardless imo), whenever I break up the webs with flow they are gone right away, within minutes. Sucked up in filtration, and never floating on surface....
Any idea what might be causing it if not VS? I have the tank for 4 months now and never got it until I got that GSP frag. Within 2 days the web stuff was everywhere

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd clean the glass good inside the tank and see if that stuff comes back. Almost looks like water marks if the water level had dropped a few inches for a while (like when you removed the rocks).
Yeah the sand settled on the glass when I did my “cleaning”. Will clean it soon

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will take more pics in 12 hrs if I see regrowth.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what might be causing it if not VS? I have the tank for 4 months now and never got it until I got that GSP frag. Within 2 days the web stuff was everywhere
It looks like a bacteria bloom to me, which are common in newer tanks. There are all kinds of bacterial blooms you can get, from cloudy water, to thick mats on your rocks, to snotty/web-like stuff like this. Just siphon out what you can, make sure your water is thoroughly aerated (skimmer or air stone), and it should go away in a week or two on its own.

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a bacteria bloom to me, which are common in newer tanks. There are all kinds of bacterial blooms you can get, from cloudy water, to thick mats on your rocks, to snotty/web-like stuff like this. Just siphon out what you can, make sure your water is thoroughly aerated (skimmer or air stone), and it should go away in a week or two on its own.
That it? Hope you are right. So I should never take live rocks

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That it? Hope you are right. So I should never take live rocks
Hit post reply by mistake.

Will put the live rocks back in and clean it up as much as I can. And will try not to panic if such things happen again.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give you credit for doing some research and taking what you thought was appropriate action; of course, now you see you can ask a few extra questions beforehand— people here generally enjoy helping. Best wishes with your tank! :)

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give you credit for doing some research and taking what you thought was appropriate action; of course, now you see you can ask a few extra questions beforehand— people here generally enjoy helping. Best wishes with your tank! :)
Now that I know of this site, brace yourself for some crazy questions

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be a bacterial bloom as mentioned.

I'd also try to aim one of your powerheads at the surface of the water giving you some kind of surface agitation. It's not good for the surface of your water to be stagnant, it traps gases. Agitation allows them to escape.

As said put all the rock back in 100%.

Good luck! Welcome to R2R

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back