Vertex Alpha 250 Pump burnt out, Time to Replace

Mik236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m new to reefing and I was needing to race the pump on a veterx alpha 250 skimmer. I see the red dragon pump is a bit hard to get and fairly pricey, has anyone else possibly gave it a try to use other S
Protein skimmer pumps instead of the red dragon? And if so how did it work and which pump did you use?

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still might be able to get a new pump through Royal Exclusiv. If not then check out the Laguna Maxflo pumps. They use the same motor block as the red dragon so it might be a direct replacement if you match the correct one. Skimmer impeller and volute should fit right on new block. The direct replacement for the Vertex Alpha 200 was the Laguna 1500 which was discontinued and is now the 1350. This was the skimmer I had a few years back and the backup pump I used. The next size up is the 2000. Numbers are based on GPH of the pump. Good Luck.

Member Slief is the director of CS for Royal Exclusiv USA. Send him a message. He is typically very helpful.

OP
OP
Mik236

Mik236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I did end up using a laguna motor block and it did get it working but not 100%
It just randomly stop about once a day so I just unplug it then plug it back in and it’s go for a bit again.

OP
OP
Mik236

Mik236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did clean it a while ago but I geuss I could do that again. I’ll let you know if it helps

OP
OP
Mik236

Mik236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so I didn’t end up cleaning the pump. I only cleaned the bowl but when I turned the pump back on I noticed it was going way better. I had to readjust the skimmer to keep it from overflowing. And now it’s been 2 days and the pump hasn’t quite so far. So maybe something was keeping it from going full speed.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up finding a replacement pump? I have the Alpha 250 and it’s been running for about 4 years now. I’m expecting to have to replace the pump soon and would rather have the replacement in hand than have to search frantically after it goes.

OP
OP
Mik236

Mik236

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I still have gotten a good replacement for it. I did end up trying a Sedra 5000 which did work somewhat but definitely doesn’t mix as much air to it. So then I ended up twisting off the magnet from the impeller shaft and putting on a new magnet from a laguna pump that I already took the motor block from. So now with the refurbished original pump back in there it’s been running for 4 days with out cutting out any more.
but when ever vertex get there shipments in I still want to order a new one. But also with its being so difficult to get a replacement in the future I don’t know if I’ll stick with vertex anymore.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I am with you on this one not being able to find a pump replacement is an issue. I would think red dragon pumps would work no? My vertex alpha actually came with a red dragon pump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 8.3%
Back