Vertex Libra pump mysterious overdose

David.Basti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up the new Vertex "Libra" dosing pumps according to the minimalist instructions on the enclosed CD. Settings are as follows for Alkalinity and Calcium additions: Start time 12:00 AM, end 11:50 PM. Dosing 6.5 mls every 2 hours for 24 hours for a total of 78 ml. Everything seemed okay for a week, but last night pump #2 (calcium) decided to dump almost an entire gallon of calcium into my sump. This happened around 1 AM, and the pump wouldn't stop until I unplugged it. This doesn't make sense! Please advise - did I program the pump incorrectly? If it was alkalinity it would have wiped out my entire system. Fortunately, that pump (#1) seems to be working okay, even though I programmed it the same way. Thanks for any help you can give - Dave

thanhreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's strange. I have never heard this issue. I just have setup mine since Sunday. I am very happy with it so far. It sound like that the vent would keep running and why? Contact your authorized dealer

I run mine 12 hours intervals
ALK: 1:00AM - 13:00PM (5ml each dose)
CA: 7:30AM - 19:30PM (5ml each dose)
Mg: 11:15AM - 23:15PM (2.5ml each dose)

IMAG0904_zps38c8c7de.jpg

IMAG0907_zps3192f6bd.jpg

OP
OP
D

David.Basti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is DC, too. Should the 1/4 inch tubing that delivers the alk and calc to the sump be underwater? And could air have been sucked in somehow and triggered it to continuously vent, thereby sucking all the calcium from the container?

thanhreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my 1/4 tube lines are above water in the sump. I think all tubes should not be the underwater. Are yours underwater? If yes, I think that's problem

OP
OP
D

David.Basti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk and calcium delivery lines are both above water in the sump. Somehow pump #2 must have continuously vented and kept delivering calcium. I don't mind if it was me that made an error in programing, its just not knowing what or why it happened that makes me lose confidence, especially after pump #1 was programmed the same way and is still working fine. Thanks for the advice, I need to speak with Shane at Proline.

Mikesax5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Libra Dosing Pump mysterious overdose in the second pump (Calcium)

Hi Dave,

You aren't alone as I had this same exact problem yesterday morning on a Sunday. I woke up to hear the sound of the second Calcium pump continuously dosing until I turned the pump off and reset it.

It isn't you its the pump!!! My containers work fine and I have the Vertex magnet with the three dosing tubing lines above the water line in the sump.

I have called Pro Line and they are replacing the pump overnight.

I love the innovation of Vertex but it seems like they need to do more R and D before launching a product in the market place.

Vertex, you really need to follow the footsteps of Ecotech .... they make great stuff and it always works !!!!

Mike

OP
OP
D

David.Basti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mike,
Sorry to hear about that. I hope you did'nt lose any livestock. Proline also replaced my Libra, but like you I'm still suspicious that there are flaws in the software. My setup is almost exactly like what you described, but now I have shortened the tubes into the containers of 2 part, so if it happens again it will only pump in a smaller amount. I also have the Vertex Illumina, which is a beautifully designed LED fixture, but not always easy to program. I just invested in the Vertex 150 skimmer which is well built and effective, but I guess the German/Austrian folks think Americans are idiots, cause at least for me their instruction manuals leave a bit to be desired. Cheers, Dave

Mikesax5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertex Libra Pump mysterious overdose RE:

Hey Dave,

We should exchange emails since I am in Salisbury, MA and your in Maine!

Proline is replacing the pump but they also replaced the containers for me. Reason is because it wasnt dosing right as there were so many bubbles that it dosed more air than liquid lol The

newer 2.5L Vertex vessel containers have a piece of silicone that is attached to the straw so that it can have the line all the way down and in the middle of the bottom of the container.

Anyways, hope things are going well for ya! As for manuals, they definately leave alot to be desired that way haha

Here is my email address: [email protected]

PS Vertex appears to make some really great stuff and as long as they can make it dependable they will do well as a company.

Mike

thanhreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, I had this same exact problem yesterday Saturday morning. When I woke up, the 1.5 liter of Alkalinity left in 2.5 liter Vertex was gone. I turned the pump off. The Alkalinity in tank was 16 dKH (Salifert). Three of SPS frags were white and chalices were not happy. I changed 25% water in the morning and another 25% afternoon. All corals look fine and I think it's under control now. I also have issue with so many bubbles in tube so that it dosed more air than liquid. I have to vent the unit for about 30 seconds before it starts working again. I turned off unit completely. I am afraid of another over dose issue.

OP
OP
D

David.Basti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, I had this same exact problem yesterday Saturday morning. When I woke up, the 1.5 liter of Alkalinity left in 2.5 liter Vertex was gone. I turned the pump off. The Alkalinity in tank was 16 dKH (Salifert). Three of SPS frags were white and chalices were not happy. I changed 25% water in the morning and another 25% afternoon. All corals look fine and I think it's under control now. I also have issue with so many bubbles in tube so that it dosed more air than liquid. I have to vent the unit for about 30 seconds before it starts working again. I turned off unit completely. I am afraid of another over dose issue.

I feel your pain! So far I have'nt had a problem with my replacement pump from Proline. Was your malfunction in pump #2 also? Hope your corals are ok. Don't be too hasty to throw them out, they just may be temporarily bleached. The tissue without xooanthellae is translucent, so the coral may be alive and recover. I also have a long vent time till liquid is actually dosed. Ask for a replacement unit, and if you're still suspicious like me, just don't fill up your containers or raise the tube so it will only dose so much liquid if it malfunctions.The engineers are going to have to replace the software or firmware or whatever it is that is malfunctioning. Cheers, Dave B.

thanhreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain! So far I have'nt had a problem with my replacement pump from Proline. Was your malfunction in pump #2 also? Hope your corals are ok. Don't be too hasty to throw them out, they just may be temporarily bleached. The tissue without xooanthellae is translucent, so the coral may be alive and recover. I also have a long vent time till liquid is actually dosed. Ask for a replacement unit, and if you're still suspicious like me, just don't fill up your containers or raise the tube so it will only dose so much liquid if it malfunctions.The engineers are going to have to replace the software or firmware or whatever it is that is malfunctioning. Cheers, Dave B.

Yes, pump #2 is malfunction. I just dose manually for now. I am going to contact Proline. Thank you

thanhreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great customer support from Proline Aquatics

It's time to report back here how my Vertex Libra is

My dosing has been working great since I did receive great customer support from Proline Aquatics in May. I received calls from Canada team and Germany team and worked with them. They sent me new firmware and how to fix the vessels issue.

vessels issue: the vessels themselves were leaking and solved the problem by putting acrylic cement on this seal to fix the problem.

e

I
love and enjoy Libra dosing and beautiful vessels :bigsmile:. Thank you very much Proline Aquatics.

ashrafz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i just wanted to add to this conversation so I made an account on R2R. There seems to be a malfunction on all pump #2's on the vertex libras. A week ago I noticed the same thing, pump #2 was stuck on and dosed closed to 3000mL of calcium solution into my 120 gallon reef tank. This took my Calcium from 415ppm all the way to 700ppm, ALK had dropped from 8.5 to 5.5. Lost a bunch of my SPS and my anemone has shrunk and not come out since. It feels horrible placing so much trust in a product and then this happening. I would not recommend this doser to anyone and only still use it out of financial restriction. For now I've switched my Calcium line from pump #2 to pump #3, have stopped dosing calcium till it gets under control, and have upped my alk dose to compensate for the suppressing effects of the increased calcium. I've also emailed Proline to let them know my thoughts but to be frank, there isnt much they can do now short of replacing all the corals I lost and giving me my the money I paid for the doser, back.

thanhreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i just wanted to add to this conversation so I made an account on R2R. There seems to be a malfunction on all pump #2's on the vertex libras. A week ago I noticed the same thing, pump #2 was stuck on and dosed closed to 3000mL of calcium solution into my 120 gallon reef tank. This took my Calcium from 415ppm all the way to 700ppm, ALK had dropped from 8.5 to 5.5. Lost a bunch of my SPS and my anemone has shrunk and not come out since. It feels horrible placing so much trust in a product and then this happening. I would not recommend this doser to anyone and only still use it out of financial restriction. For now I've switched my Calcium line from pump #2 to pump #3, have stopped dosing calcium till it gets under control, and have upped my alk dose to compensate for the suppressing effects of the increased calcium. I've also emailed Proline to let them know my thoughts but to be frank, there isnt much they can do now short of replacing all the corals I lost and giving me my the money I paid for the doser, back.

Sorry to hear it. When did you buy it? I bought it when it was just released. Since I updated the firmware in May 2013, I have never had any issues.

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@thanhreef what firmware are you running? My SN# is 0000FA and Firmware 1.313, runtime of 82:04:37. Some issues is that I had to recalibrate after I disconnected power. Not sure if it was a one time thing because I haven't disconnected the power in over 4 years. Also, when I do a quickdose, I can only do one at a time. If I do two back to back, it gets glitchy, so I just have to go back to home screen each time in between and it doesn't happen.

It's confusing that they don't have firmware change log notes, so I don't know any reason to update firmware. Waiting for their response since I just emailed them.

Back