vertex omega 150 with a varios 2?

Iiismet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my skimmer offline for almost a year now because I couldn't handle the noise anymore in my living room with my open cabinet. I recently put it back on, and wow it is as loud as I remember and I had to turn it off again.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do, short from replacing the whole thing? I'm currently thinking about ordering the varios 2 skimmer pump.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/varios-2s-controllable-dc-skimmer-pump-reef-octopus.html

The stock pump specs are:
Ajustable Air Draw: Approx. 172 - 238 GPH (650 - 900 LPH)

And the varios:
Max Flow: 238 GPH
Max Air Draw:
up to 900 LPH (32 SCFH)*

The flow and air draw match. Is their anything else I should look into or will this will work?

Any other opinions on what i should do? Its just so loud! Thank you!

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to lay the pump on its side, if you do that will the outlet of the pump align with the inlet of the skimmer?

OP
OP
I

Iiismet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to lay the pump on its side, if you do that will the outlet of the pump align with the inlet of the skimmer?
the pump outlet seems to be able to change positions, and from the side it should be easy to connect to the skimmer
lg_112457_1.jpg

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, now check out what size skimmer the Varios 2 runs and see if it is in similar size as the Vertex Omega 150.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my skimmer offline for almost a year now because I couldn't handle the noise anymore in my living room with my open cabinet. I recently put it back on, and wow it is as loud as I remember and I had to turn it off again.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do, short from replacing the whole thing? I'm currently thinking about ordering the varios 2 skimmer pump.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/varios-2s-controllable-dc-skimmer-pump-reef-octopus.html

And the varios:
Max Air Draw:
up to 900 LPH (32 SCFH)*

The flow and air draw match. Is their anything else I should look into or will this will work?

Fought this same issue, bought the reef octo 150 elite and vertex is backup. I run the ro150 at 3/5 speed and it pulls more and more stable than vertex ever was. Much quieter too.
If the varios 2s lines up, it should be great. There's not much difference in the bodies.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fought this same issue, bought the reef octo 150 elite and vertex is backup. I run the ro150 at 3/5 speed and it pulls more and more stable than vertex ever was. Much quieter too.
If the varios 2s lines up, it should be great. There's not much difference in the bodies.
I did consider, retrofitting the varios on the vertex, but didn't want to make it a diy project, and the money was not an issue.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Not sure if this helps. I had the same issue but mine was the alpha. My pump died and I never found a replacement. I don’t know how they are doing this, but check out this site. They are still selling Vertex, using a Sicce. Maybe you can try a Sicce pump like they are fitting?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening,

Not sure if this helps. I had the same issue but mine was the alpha. My pump died and I never found a replacement. I don’t know how they are doing this, but check out this site. They are still selling Vertex, using a Sicce. Maybe you can try a Sicce pump like they are fitting?

The vertex 150 comes with an ac sicce, which can resonate and be loud, among other things.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vertex 150 comes with an ac sicce, which can resonate and be loud, among other things.

Ah, mine was much older. I could never figure out the brand pump Vertex was used when mine went out and they wouldn’t tell me. I thought that site was fitting the Sicce on left over Vertex bodies since they shut down. They are great skimmers.

OP
OP
I

Iiismet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I may try the varios 2, while I had the vertex on it worked very well for me. (80 gallon+trigger 44 sump)

Do you feel the varios is quiet? Currently my tank is basically silent from 2+ feet away, with my gyres (50 and 60%) being the loudest equipment making a very low hum that i can only hear if I'm working in the tank.

Thanks everyone for you're replies!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may try the varios 2, while I had the vertex on it worked very well for me. (80 gallon+trigger 44 sump)

Do you feel the varios is quiet? Currently my tank is basically silent from 2+ feet away, with my gyres (50 and 60%) being the loudest equipment making a very low hum that i can only hear if I'm working in the tank.

Thanks everyone for you're replies!
Silent. and adjustable. The vertex and ro elite 150 bodies are the same. Vertex a little better build quality.
Let us know how the varios lines up.

N7eo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And the varios:
Max Air Draw: up to 900 LPH (32 SCFH)*

My pump is very noisy recently. I checked the impeller but did not find any abnormal
Did you change the original pump with varios 2S ? Can it fix and run perfectly. I intend to buy a new varios 2s fro my vertex 150 too

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back