Vertex Omega 180i and Ozone Generator help please

Frederick Edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Vertex Omega 180i and am looking to run an ozone generator and looking for suggestions on how to carbon filter the water and air effluent on this skimmer. Do I just fill a sock with GAC and put it on/under the effluents? Is there a carbon filter product specific to fit to this skimmer's effluents? Also I am looking at getting the Enaly OZAC-50 ozone generator. My question with the generator, can I use my apex and apex ORP probe to control the generator?

Epicreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I have used a hot tub sized ozone generator from ozotech I think. Its somewhere in the 50mg/hr range and I push air through it with a small air pump and a T on the skimmer intake to allow the skimmer to naturally aspirate. For a while I used the ORP control on the apex but IDK if my probe just went bad/I didn't clean it enough or just felt my water was too clean, but I switched to just running it on a timer for 3 hours a day and have been happy with that. I just use it to keep the tank clear more than chasing ORP values. Now I swing from 325-350 ORP or so mostly from the light schedule but a little from the ozone as well. I also don't worry about removing the ozone and haven't seen any negatives in the water but yes you want a carbon scrubber on the lid. I have seen custom "fluidized topless reactors" filled with carbon where the water enters the bottom through a side, passes up through carbon, and overflows. Use pelleted carbon as it is more resilient to this type of use. For the lid recycling the skimmer air from the cup may help but may also reduce pH.

OP
OP
Frederick Edwards

Frederick Edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I have used a hot tub sized ozone generator from ozotech I think. Its somewhere in the 50mg/hr range and I push air through it with a small air pump and a T on the skimmer intake to allow the skimmer to naturally aspirate. For a while I used the ORP control on the apex but IDK if my probe just went bad/I didn't clean it enough or just felt my water was too clean, but I switched to just running it on a timer for 3 hours a day and have been happy with that. I just use it to keep the tank clear more than chasing ORP values. Now I swing from 325-350 ORP or so mostly from the light schedule but a little from the ozone as well. I also don't worry about removing the ozone and haven't seen any negatives in the water but yes you want a carbon scrubber on the lid. I have seen custom "fluidized topless reactors" filled with carbon where the water enters the bottom through a side, passes up through carbon, and overflows. Use pelleted carbon as it is more resilient to this type of use. For the lid recycling the skimmer air from the cup may help but may also reduce pH.

Thanks for your response. I am currently just researching and not sure if this is something I want/need to do. My tank first got wet on April 19th and is currently cycling. If I were to go with an ozone setup, is it needed at this moment or should I wait until the tank is stable?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back