Very Confused Newby

Tom2257

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first excursion in saltwater. My setup is this: 90 gallon tank,Pro clear model 125 wet/dry filter, 85 pounds live rock,80 pounds of live sand. I had my LFS install this with their cycled water. He placed my titanium heater inside the sump which causes the pump to barely be submerged. Ok, here is where it is getting confusing. The installer said it would be cycled in 10 days. He also stated 1. Do not turn on any lights for 10 days. 2. Do not do any water changes till January. I performed my first water test today and the levels are: Nitrate: 5, Nitrate: 0, Ammonia: 0.2, PH: 8.2. Should I invest in digital testers and if so, which ones? The hydrometer the LFS sold me is defective so is there a model anyone could recommend?

By the way, the install was $600, is that a fair price?
I am so confused and this forum seemed to be full of experts and I am happy to be here.
Thank You,
Tom

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycled water is a gimmick. Its Likely water removed from other customers tanks or his own lol.
Bacteria needs surface area and the water column does not supply this.
Would have been better off dropping an old sponge from a cycled tank into the sump.

Get yourself a cheap tropic marin hydrometer for salinity.
You dont need digital testers.

Your parameters look fine for a newly set up tank.

The placement of the heater will not affect the water level in the sump.
If the return level is low (water line right above the pump), you may need to top off the tank with fresh water due to evaporation.

Cant speak for if its a good deal or not as i do all my own work.
But if you feel good about spending $600 on installation, and you like the way the tank looks and really didnt know how to do anything yourself....im sure it was worth it....

If theres issues with the install, he should be correcting anything free of charge.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back