Very Excited to Attempt to Breed Starfish! Wish Me Luck...It Won't be Easy!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided that my next research project will focus on attempting to encourage Fromia indica starfish to spawn in captivity. I've done a great deal of reading to prepare myself and understand that this is certainly not going to be easy. I'm going to try to kickstart the tank naturally with sand and natural reef water collected tomorrow from the island I'm on at the moment to introduce plenty of bacterial diversity. I have a chiller and plan to employ it as well as programming the lights in an attempt to replicate seasonal changes. Yes, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm going to start a GoFundMe page for my research projects as well as a bigger study which entails a coral biodiversity survey I'll be playing a role in. If anyone might be interested in helping me afford these projects by donating anything at all, I'd be beyond appreciative. I've planned out the tank for the starfish already and have arranged to have the shop hold them for me until later this week which will allow me to get each individual in similar health as well as similar size. It's going to be difficult but I'm going to try everything I possibly can to achieve success. Even if I don't fully succeed, the worst that could happen is that I learn something new.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the baby stars have a planktonic stage like most things and then settle out?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume the baby stars have a planktonic stage like most things and then settle out?
Yes, echinoderms have some particularly interesting developmental characteristics though. Some larvae are planktotrophic and feed on phytoplankton primarily while other echinoderm species have lecithoteophic larvae which are non-feeding. It seems that the determining factor in starfish species primarily revolves around the egg size.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha I haven't been able to find information pertaining specifically to which category F. indica falls under and if the larvae are planktotrophic I'd tend to believe they prefer or possibly even require a specific phytoplankton species of particular size. If I'm successful in inducing a spawning event, I'll use natural sea water collected from the islands to introduce naturally occurring species along with other microorganisms they may feed on.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that T-iso phyto has been used for everything from tricky copepods for tiny fish larva rearing, to tuxedo urchin larvae. If I had to randomly pick a planktonic food, that'd be my random pick to start.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given that T-iso phyto has been used for everything from tricky copepods for tiny fish larva rearing, to tuxedo urchin larvae. If I had to randomly pick a planktonic food, that'd be my random pick to start.
Its Just very difficult to get pure strains here (especially live)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha btw, did you read my article regarding possible causes of mortality of Linckia laevigata starfish in captivity? It a lot longer and a little more comprehensive than a lot of articles on here but someone like yourself might like to read through it

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha btw, did you read my article regarding possible causes of mortality of Linckia laevigata starfish in captivity? It a lot longer and a little more comprehensive than a lot of articles on here but someone like yourself might like to read through it
I missed it.
Thanks a ton!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I missed it.
Thanks a ton!
I hope you found it insightful and/or interesting! Regarding this thread, after speaking to an expert researcher who specializes in the study of echinoderms, she said that given the very, very tiny likelihood of encouraging spawning in captivity, it's probably not worth the attempt, all things considered. I haven't fully decided whether or not to try anyway though. I think it might be a better idea to repeat my previous independent research study aimed at identifying a possible substitute food source and developing a feeding regimen to extend longevity in captivity. Repeating the study could add additional support to the results and strengthen the conclusion since this new study would include 4 separate specimens of the same species as the first study. If I choose to go this route, I can conduct the study more professionally and I'll include much more statistical analysis in my article detailing the results following the end of the study. One shop happens to have 4 healthy, mature individuals in stock right now which isn't always the case. Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting 4 of these guys tomorrow. Mature and healthy stars right here! Gonna make great specimens for the project!
Screenshot_2023-09-12-21-19-37-358_com.facebook.katana.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just getting to reading this thread and I’m really excited for you to have a go at working on these starfish. I’m not at all informed about the activity of echinoderm reproduction via gametes but I did think that the might be able to be fragmented?

Very cool project and I pray for your success in this endeavor.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just getting to reading this thread and I’m really excited for you to have a go at working on these starfish. I’m not at all informed about the activity of echinoderm reproduction via gametes but I did think that the might be able to be fragmented?

Very cool project and I pray for your success in this endeavor.
Thanks! Its going to be very, very difficult to encourage spawning but I'm going to try. I'm going to also focus on repeating my previous research project regarding feeding this species but conduct it more professionally and with statistical analysis.
It depends on the species - some can reproduce asexually, others can't.
I actually thought it was only Linckia multifora that could reproduce purely by division. (i can't think of the technical term at the moment...)

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually thought it was only Linckia multifora that could reproduce purely by division. (i can't think of the technical term at the moment...)
Fissiparity/Fissiparous reproduction (i.e. reproduction by fission). Aquilonastra starfish (known as Asterina in the hobby) are basically famous for it.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the most beautiful F. indica stars I've ever come across!
I did notice the same oxygen seeking behavior previously observed in my first study upon first introducing them. Glad to say that they are no longer exhibiting that behavior but I suspect they need time to adjust to the new parameters before feeding regularly.
This picture was taken only hours ago during acclimation.
IMG_20230913_163609.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back