Very flat isopods (sphaeromatidae?), and is this one of the OK asterina-types?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Check out what came off a new frag I just got. There were also a couple dozen of those reddish-brown flatworms that can overpopulate and blot out the light for your corals, but I sucked all the flatworms out and coral dipped the frag. Most of these guys came off from some vigorous pipetting with clean water, then the last few came off in the iodine dip and were rescued.

They're so flat I initially thought they were some kind of flatworm, they swim in rapid circles when you scare them, and they curl up when disturbed. They make funny little UFO shapes when curled up, they're too flat to be a ball. I assume these guys are detritivores, since they have tiny eyes. There were half a dozen big ones lined up neatly along the divot on the bottom of the frag disc, and most of the rest of 'em were hiding in a gap under the coral.

Anyone recognize em? They're cute little things. I kinda hope I can get some established. I also got a few gammarid-type amphipods and some munnid isopods, but I already have those in my tank, so they're less interesting.

(Though I think I might have a few of these already. I found a couple in an amphipod culture awhile back, put them in a cup to examine, and then accidentally emptied that cup into my tank instead of the cup with the amphipods I meant to feed off. Whoops.)

zisopods.jpg zisopods 1.jpg zisopods 2.jpg

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, yep, that last picture is exactly what I have! Thanks. I'm excited to hopefully get these established in my tank for some variety. There must have been loads in the LFS tank for there to be this many on the frag, so they apparently do well in aquaria.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back