very high orp

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ORP reading from my red sea ozone generator and controller that is 650. It has been that high for a while. The ozone only turns on around 350, so I don't think it is causing this. I have started dosing lanthanum chloride, does that cause high ORP? Is 650 ORP and problem?

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Check for stray voltage.
2. If you pull a cup of tank water out and put the ORP probe in that, does it read the same?
3. Are you certain that the ozone doesn’t have a control issue resulting in it being on when you think it is off?

OP
OP
Wolf89

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Check for stray voltage.
2. If you pull a cup of tank water out and put the ORP probe in that, does it read the same?
3. Are you certain that the ozone doesn’t have a control issue resulting in it being on when you think it is off?
I'll have to get back to you on the first two, but the ozonr generator has a light for when it is on and it hasn't been on for a while. Plus, this is a 50mg/hour generator. Which I've read is underpowered for my 220g system

jccaclimber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to get back to you on the first two, but the ozonr generator has a light for when it is on and it hasn't been on for a while. Plus, this is a 50mg/hour generator. Which I've read is underpowered for my 220g system
Assuming the first two don’t answer the question, I’d unplug it too, even underpowered.
Unlikely that the light failed and logic is off, but I’ve seen stranger things.

When I used to live in a warmer part of the country I would unplug my aquarium heaters during the summer and set myself a reminder in the fall to plug them back in. I never forgot to plug them back in when things cooled off, but I did have a couple fail on and try to cook my tanks.

I used to work in accident reconstruction, uncommon coincidences and parallel failures of redundant systems are more common than we would like.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run ozone. I don't believe a 50 mg/hr would hurt anything if it ran continuously on 200 gallons.

Have you ever cleaned your probe?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back