Very high tin, aluminum, silicone, and barium

E13MentX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having random die offs in one of my tanks, I decided to do my first ICP test. The result was mostly normal except very high tin, aluminum, silicone, and barium (see numbers attached). What are some possible causes for these elements. I checked for rust in my equipment but did not find any. (Other metals were within normal range). I do have 2 big marine pure blocks that I have since removed to eliminate one possible source for aluminum but not sure what the other causes can be. What should I be doing besides water changes to remedy the situation? Is this something that needs to be done quickly or something I need to fight long term? Thanks in advance for the advice!
7BCEFAC4-EA51-44F7-81B3-B4D7C72BECF4.png

eraser2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi
You can do water changes and also run MetaSorb from two little fish for the Tin. Did you look for source of contamination?
Which salt are you using?

OP
OP
E

E13MentX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
You can do water changes and also run MetaSorb from two little fish for the Tin. Did you look for source of contamination?
Which salt are you using?
Yes I will be doing 20% water changes bi weekly to try to lower it. Just seeing if I need to add anything additionally. I look for rusted magnets but did not find any on all my equipment. I ordered metasorb already it is on its way. I am using Red Sea blue bucket for salt.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I will be doing 20% water changes bi weekly to try to lower it. Just seeing if I need to add anything additionally. I look for rusted magnets but did not find any on all my equipment. I ordered metasorb already it is on its way. I am using Red Sea blue bucket for salt.

Id do 30%-40% water changes multiple times over the week. That way you can do less overall, and let quicker.

MattFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using marine pure blocks? I have heard they may cause Aluminum to show on ICP. I use them but have not sent out an ICP yet....

OP
OP
E

E13MentX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using marine pure blocks? I have heard they may cause Aluminum to show on ICP. I use them but have not sent out an ICP yet....
Yes I was. I had 2 of the large marine pure block as well as lots of the spheres too. I have removed them now. Hopefully that will eliminate the source for aluminum

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back