Very Interesting Article About Fragging SPS

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shep
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
6,864
Reaction score
6,574
Location
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some key things I will take away. If I ever get Acro to grow and not just die, and I want to frag, I will certainly mount the frags as if they were hitting the sand. i.e. sideways mounting. Also I will always frag under water in a frag tank.
 
Nice article! I have had good success with the frags that I've mounted sideways.
 
I wonder why some many vendors sell frags that are mounted upright, maybe they just look better?
 
IME experience it "feels like" it takes much longer for a horizontal frag to start to grow.
Maybe that's because it's encrusting for so long before it starts branching.

It has also been my experience, which align's with the author's, that larger frags grow quicker.
When I've fragged a little half inch nub, it seems to stay like that in my frag tank for ages compared to a one inch or larger branching frag.

I think if I was starting with a small frag, horizontal is the way to go.
But many of my frags are like the pic below which I don't believe is conducive to horizontal mounting.

i-fB2pDDh.jpg
 
IME experience it "feels like" it takes much longer for a horizontal frag to start to grow.
Maybe that's because it's encrusting for so long before it starts branching.

It has also been my experience, which align's with the author's, that larger frags grow quicker.
When I've fragged a little half inch nub, it seems to stay like that in my frag tank for ages compared to a one inch or larger branching frag.

I think if I was starting with a small frag, horizontal is the way to go.
But many of my frags are like the pic below which I don't believe is conducive to horizontal mounting.

i-fB2pDDh.jpg
I voted for your beautiful photo in the photo of the month contest. It is really nice.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new