Very odd aquarium cycle

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I misunderstood. If 8ppm won’t kill bacteria then why is it too high other than it would take longer to complete cycle.
I responded to someone who said they completed a cycle in 36 hours... I said , not with 8ppm ammonia.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell what this is? I know it’s less than 5ppm but can anyone tell which level it is. I feel like it doesn’t fit any of them.

Attachments

• IMG_3986.jpeg
    IMG_3986.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 27

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"1 ppm ammonia --> 2.7 ppm nitrite --> 3.6 ppm nitrate."

https://forums.reefcentral.com/threads/ammonia-is-converted-to-how-much-nitrite-and-nitrate.213717/

Therefore 80ppm nitrate is not possible from 8ppm ammonia. What are you using to test?
So could I dose ammonia to make up nitrate? I dose kno3 and have no need to stop doing that when I have a nitrate deficiency. It works.

Say my nitrates are around 2 ppm and I've run out of kno3. Could I dose ammonia to 1ppm in order to make up the difference?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose ammonium hydroxide every day for over a year now. Nothing scientific just slow and steady - 1 drop per 10 gallons each morning. Nitrates have stabilized to 10ppm doing that but obviously it would be different based on each system.

Edit: I should mention it's Old Country brand ammonia 6% ammonium hydroxide.

Last edited:

BigMonkeyBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured out the nitrate solution I think. This is going to be a fish only system so I’m not using my ro water but just tap and thus I used dechlorinator. I believe when I topped off to decrease salinity yesterday I didn’t mix well and it detoxified the nitrates. Just a guess but seems logical.
I have never seen nitrates in the first three days of an initial cycle. FWIW - If you only dose ammonia or fish food / poop from another tank etc,. with nothing else - no bottled bacteria etc,. the nitrogen cycle is finished quicker and the test results seem more accurate.

Probably happens !

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is a few months old, but the discussion seems to have passed right over the correctly given explanation for the erroneous nitrate readings.

nitrate was never 80 ppm. The 2 ppm nitrite will cause very high and false readings for nitrate. With some kits, the multiplier is 100x: 2 ppm nitrite reads falsely as 200 ppm nitrate.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back