Very sudden pH drop

aldrichg9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My tank pH apparently dropped suddenly from 8.46 to 8.02 from one reading to the next maybe 20 minutes (see screenshot below)

Tank has been set up 2 years this month (125 with large sump and decent skimmer)

Has 5 fish (clown pair, dottyback, puffer, velvet damsel)
Mushrooms, toadstool, a couple other small corals
Everyone looks perfectly happy (haven't seen the brittle star as per usual)

SG: 1.026
Alk: 10 ish
Nitrate and Nitrate: both 0

ATO water has plenty of buffer and I had added water 2 days before this happened. It was topping off normally maybe every 2 hours and pH was going up as expected.

I was out of town and didn't add anything to cause this

Has anyone seen this before
Screenshot 2023-12-06 160834.png

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel its much easier to explain how a probe can quickly change reading (water level, electrical interference, got bumped etc) rather than how the water without obvious intervention can actually change pH that much, that fast, and show no dramatic changes prior or after.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If someone is housesitting - you could consider if they changed the window situation or the furnace situation - or they could be having a large party. If not - as others have said - consider the probe

OP
OP
aldrichg9

aldrichg9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The probe is about 6 months old

Had been thinking if a probe went bad it or out of calibration it would either go completely dead as in off the chart high or low, or slowly it would change.

I don't currently have a cal solutions on hand or I would have done that.

Will have some this weekend.

OP
OP
aldrichg9

aldrichg9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If someone is housesitting - you could consider if they changed the window situation or the furnace situation - or they could be having a large party. If not - as others have said - consider the probe
My girlfriend was here, but I am reasonably confident she didn't open any windows during the 35* rainy situation we had, or throw any parties.

She also has her own aquarium and is conscious of not adding or changing anything.

OP
OP
aldrichg9

aldrichg9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I experienced something like this, calibration helped. Cleaning the probe may also be necessary
I swirled it around the water to try to clean it a little

Also thinking if there was debris affecting the reading of the probe it would happen over time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My girlfriend was here, but I am reasonably confident she didn't open any windows during the 35* rainy situation we had, or throw any parties.

She also has her own aquarium and is conscious of not adding or changing anything.
Sorry the party thing was kind of a tongue-in cheek comment. I was about to make another one - but I think I'll leave it at 'until you can verify that the pH actually was 8.4 or 8.0 independently it's hard to say. It's usually an elevated CO2 (in the room) - that causes this - That, though is not immediate. I was trying to think of a reason besides 'error' that the pH would drop - so here is another question - from Morning to night - what is the swing - i.e. the low of the day to the high of the day generally?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BTW - it would be suddenly closing windows that would cause the CO2 to elevate lets say its raining - close the windows, the CO2 would rise (in the house)

OP
OP
aldrichg9

aldrichg9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry the party thing was kind of a tongue-in cheek comment. I was about to make another one - but I think I'll leave it at 'until you can verify that the pH actually was 8.4 or 8.0 independently it's hard to say. It's usually an elevated CO2 (in the room) - that causes this - That, though is not immediate. I was trying to think of a reason besides 'error' that the pH would drop - so here is another question - from Morning to night - what is the swing - i.e. the low of the day to the high of the day generally?
All good thanks for the replies

The only measurement method I have other than the probe is strips which IMO is a relatively subjective measurement

The swing is normally pretty small ~0.5

Because of allergies the windows in the house have to stay closed all the time, thinking it’s not likely to be a sudden buildup of co2

Will report back to this thread once I can calibrate the probe and have more reliable measurements

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All good thanks for the replies

The only measurement method I have other than the probe is strips which IMO is a relatively subjective measurement

The swing is normally pretty small ~0.5

Because of allergies the windows in the house have to stay closed all the time, thinking it’s not likely to be a sudden buildup of co2

Will report back to this thread once I can calibrate the probe and have more reliable measurements
I thought at least at some point you were away from the house - perhaps my misunderstanding

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back