Vibrant and increased Alk

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed that vibrant usage increased their alk. My alk used to hover around 8 and after beginning dosing, I am 9 weeks in now, my alk has been around 10. I don't understand how that is possible. I am not dosing anything. Simply doing weekly water changes with red sea blue bucket.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed it a couple of times in one of my tanks and noted my Alk dosing decreased for a couple of weeks after - not sure if it limits coral and/or coralline growth while dosing. Be interested to see what other folks experience is.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
opposite effect for me week 10 an my tank has an increased uptake 17g an I go thru .9 a day up from .5 it used to be my weekly w/c is no longer taking care of it an I have been dosing brs 2part to keep up

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed that vibrant usage increased their alk. My alk used to hover around 8 and after beginning dosing, I am 9 weeks in now, my alk has been around 10. I don't understand how that is possible. I am not dosing anything. Simply doing weekly water changes with red sea blue bucket.
First check your salt. As soon as you buy your salt it needs to be mixed it settles during shipping.found that out a few yrs back when a my numbers were off. I open the box and put it in another bucket and mix all the dry salt..and it turned out to be the salt not mixed good enough. numbers are good now. Now i mix it as soon as i get home so its ready to mix with water when i do water changes. Also when nitrites fall due to consumption of organisms reduction in nitrates of 50ppm will "increase " alkalinity by 2.3 dkh.to much alkalinity can result in reduction of calcium. So check your calcium. On the flip side to much calcium will drive down alkalinity. Vibrant is a great product several people i talk to are not aware there are 3 different formulas of Vibrant... reef tanks, freshwater and Saltwater for fish only tanks. Just thought I would put thatvput there

OP
OP
chrisjj625

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First check your salt. As soon as you buy your salt it needs to be mixed it settles during shipping.found that out a few yrs back when a my numbers were off. I open the box and put it in another bucket and mix all the dry salt..and it turned out to be the salt not mixed good enough. numbers are good now. Now i mix it as soon as i get home so its ready to mix with water when i do water changes. Also when nitrites fall due to consumption of organisms reduction in nitrates of 50ppm will "increase " alkalinity by 2.3 dkh.to much alkalinity can result in reduction of calcium. So check your calcium. On the flip side to much calcium will drive down alkalinity. Vibrant is a great product several people i talk to are not aware there are 3 different formulas of Vibrant... reef tanks, freshwater and Saltwater for fish only tanks. Just thought I would put thatvput there
Thanks for the through response. I am at the end of a salt bucket. I wonder if that’s what’s causing it. I’ll have to check my newly mixed salt this weekend. Thanks for the tip!

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the through response. I am at the end of a salt bucket. I wonder if that’s what’s causing it. I’ll have to check my newly mixed salt this weekend. Thanks for the tip!
It happened to me one time magnesium was threw the roof.on my 180 gal.after water changes. Couldn't make new salt water fast enough did 70 gallon water change same problem. When I tested the new water I couldn't believe how high magnesium was. Someone told me to always mix dry salt .it worked..hope it helps

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happened to me one time magnesium was threw the roof.on my 180 gal.after water changes. Couldn't make new salt water fast enough did 70 gallon water change same problem. When I tested the new water I couldn't believe how high magnesium was. Someone told me to always mix dry salt .it worked..hope it helps
I have 3 boxes of reef crystals I got about a month ago, how should I store those? It makes like 600galons I believe...

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 boxes of reef crystals I got about a month ago, how should I store those? It makes like 600galons I believe...
As you open each box you can roll it in the bag to mix i found it easier to use a bucket and pour it in there and mix it with a big wooden spoon then tightly keep it closed. I use a bucket from salt I got a while back now I get boxes so glad I kept the bucket you can use a 5 gallon bucket with a tight fit.

austibella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U do not think there is filler or binder in what you are dosing? I do.
D
Vibrant is good bacteria .takes 6 to 8 weeks to see incredible results. I've used it several times. Reduction of nitrates of 50ppm will increase alkalinity by 2.3 dkh. Salt not mixed property can increase or decrease alk, cal. ph after doing water changes.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back