Vibrant and my urchin

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if this is the right spot for this!

I've dosed Vibrant twice so far to try and get a handle on a green hair algae problem in my tank. My issue is that both times, as soon as I put the Vibrant into the tank, my tuxedo urchin drops off the wall and falls to the bottom of the tank! Then he gets all his feelers going and climbs up again, but he doesn't seem happy.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I researched Vibrant before using it and everyone says it's totally invert safe.... [emoji848]

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry Tiki.
I stopped following the giant thread but..
We had observed some snail and herbivore dieoff in a limited cases. Not well publicized on the thread and likey buried in there.

I did avoid it for this reason.

My theory is its basicly indigestion of sorts.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sorry Tiki.
I stopped following the giant thread but..
We had observed some snail and herbivore dieoff in a limited cases. Not well publicized on the thread and likey buried in there.

I did avoid it for this reason.

My theory is its basicly indigestion of sorts.

Oh no! I must have missed it! I will discontinue its use. My poor urchin! I hope he'll be OK...

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I'm not 100% on the why this happens. Nor why it doesn't happen to to some folks. It was really confusing to me.

I do know some folks have some weird algae in the tank that they don't even see or know about. Some of those do contain. strange compounds. I have some I know are quite unique in ther properties.

Does the urchin drop off at the initial dose ?
Then almost immedialty recover?

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I'm not 100% on the why this happens. Nor why it doesn't happen to to some folks. It was really confusing to me.

I do know some folks have some weird algae in the tank that they don't even see or know about. Some of those do contain. strange compounds. I have some I know are quite unique in ther properties.

Does the urchin drop off at the initial dose ?
Then almost immedialty recover?

If it's an algae, even a weird one, I'm sure I have it in my tank!! Lol/*cries*

Yep, the urchin drops right away. He goes all the way to the bottom, then all his feelers come out, he straightens himself out, and goes back on the wall again. But this time his spines are flattened down. :( I hope I haven't stressed him too much! Gah.

I'm really frustrated with my reefkeeping right now. Just when I thought I kinda knew what I was doing...I see I clearly do not! [emoji30]

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's an algae, even a weird one, I'm sure I have it in my tank!! Lol/*cries*

Yep, the urchin drops right away. He goes all the way to the bottom, then all his feelers come out, he straightens himself out, and goes back on the wall again. But this time his spines are flattened down. :( I hope I haven't stressed him too much! Gah.

I'm really frustrated with my reefkeeping right now. Just when I thought I kinda knew what I was doing...I see I clearly do not! [emoji30]
It's not you. Trust me.
I keep an eye on that thread for a long while and was answering questions in other threads for folks who were trying it.

So there was no way you'd know.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on it and really the wors case is you'll have to do some water changes.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I have a tuxedo, short spine, and a pencil urchin. I dosed a good amount of vibrant in the past with no issues with any of them.

I would be curious what about vibrant or the timing of the dosing caused that kind of reaction to the tuxedo urchin. They generally have a pretty good grip.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I have a tuxedo, short spine, and a pencil urchin. I dosed a good amount of vibrant in the past with no issues with any of them.

I would be curious what about vibrant or the timing of the dosing caused that kind of reaction to the tuxedo urchin. They generally have a pretty good grip.

It was pretty strange. I dosed 2.5 mL and within seconds of putting it in, my tuxedo urchin fell right off the wall, straight to the bottom. I read so much about it before using it, and I have no idea why my poor guy reacted like he did!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea it's odd. It also seems to have effected one of her clown fish.

I've seen a number of invert probs with the vibe.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crazy. I lost track of the Vibrant threads.
Yea. Got too big. I come across small problems here and there.

Most who have probs with it actually don't admit it or haven't drawn the connection.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed a few other species that react negatively to Vibrant unfortunately. I lost two large gorgonians the morning after dosing for the first time....for the most part everything else has done fine though.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed a few other species that react negatively to Vibrant unfortunately. I lost two large gorgonians the morning after dosing for the first time....for the most part everything else has done fine though.
What kind of gogonian? I have a basic brown soft finger like one.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of gogonian? I have a basic brown soft finger like one.
I am not sure of the species names but it was both in this picture.....it was my wife's seahorse tank. Both had been doing very well.....I dosed and woke up the next morning to flesh falling off both.
IMG_1199.JPG

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back