Vibrant and UV sterilizer use ?

Welcome to R2R!

Im not a fan of Vibrant. Curious why you are using it? Prefer natural methods to get rid of unwanted algae.

F91E153F-7E18-40BD-9A33-89E45C07058D.gif
 
Welcome! The few times I used vibrant, I never turned my UV off.
Same here, used Vibrant 7 weeks straight, had UV on the entire time.
This stuff will seriously effect your fuge if you have one as well as your scrubber.
Good luck.
 
Anyone can you advise on continuing UV sterilizer use when adding vibrant ?

Thxs in advance

Doug
Welcome!

Glad you joined.

Everyone has differing Vibrant opinions, and while yes it wiped out my macroalgae in refugium before nusiance algae (both are algaes...) it cleared up our tank. Maybe we only got to 99.9% green hair algae (GHA) when using Vibrant, or maybe it snuck in (again) some other way, but we are back to battling GHA. We've used bioreactor, GFO, Red Sea NOPOX, macroalgae (again, replaced) in refugium in sump, dosing live phyto, manual removal, to no avail. Peroxide spot treatment on corals where GHA was killing corals worked, BUT that killed corals worse and faster... This week, we threw out our macroalgae (letting Vibrant kill it just takes that much longer, plus the macros release phosphates and nitrates once dead so GHA has more fuel...) and we've begun Vibrant again. Might take another 4 months like first time battling GHA, but hoping Vibrant still works for me. Don't yet have a UV sterilizer, but if I did I would run UV even with dosing Vibrant.
 
Uwc, the creators, have said uv is fine to leave on. Just make sure you're not running gfo.

Also I have used vibrant and it worked great for me, although i have my suspicions that it killed off a good portion of my cuc.
 
Welcome to R2R!

Im not a fan of Vibrant. Curious why you are using it? Prefer natural methods to get rid of unwanted algae.

F91E153F-7E18-40BD-9A33-89E45C07058D.gif
I think indirect sunlight is causing my alge and clean up crew in the other stuff kind of helps but sometimes it gets out of hand what would you recommend
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new