Vibrant Experience Progression

Fishguy_8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I’d document my progression with the use of Vibrant. Not trying to say I am in anyway an expert aquarist but there was recently a BRS discussion with the owner of vibrant and I had actually started using it the week before. I’m going to point out observations from my experience and I’m not making claims that vibrant is the cause/reason for my observations good or bad. So if you’re interested in trying to “prove me wrong” trust me I don’t care I just thought I’d share my experience. Onto the tank... I have a 60g cube that has been running for 5 years. Year 1 was a reef, year 2-4 I went fish only (and neglected it more often than I care to admit) and then a year ago went back to reef. I have been battling hair algae as well as intermittent cyano outbreaks. There has also been patches of bubble algae I’m watching. I have been doing weekly water changes of 15g and plucking GHA tufts but it was slowly progressing. Enter vibrant: Every Thursday I add 6mL of vibrant and here have been my experiences.

Week 1: 24 hrs after the initial dose I observed a modest change in color of the GHA, no change in bubble algae or cyano. The water looked as if I had run carbon. There was a definite crisper cleaner look to the water/glass. The overflow area was noticeably cleaner as well. The remainder of the week there was little change outside of a more polished look and I didn’t once need to clean the glass (typically done twice a week). The day before doing dose 2 I did a 15g water change.

Week 2: Not much took place week 2 visually outside of again the water looking polished and never felt the need to clean the glass until day 13. I test several times a week and what I saw was NO3 go from 0 to 10 from day 0 to day 13 and PO4 go from .04 to .07 in the same time frame. I went to pluck the hair algae and today it was much easier to pull and it was starting to come off in strips where as previously it seemed more rooted. Day 13 I did my weekly 15g water change and day 14 I did my next dose.

Week 3: I woke up finding the cyano had definitely taken off with this increase in po4 and no3. In my mind I see this as a sign vibrant is “working” even though I had a cyano bloom. Day 17 the cyano was starting to mat so I bought a protein skimmer, and did a 20g water change in order to export nutrients faster, and siphon off as much of the red from the sand as I could. From day 17 to day 21 the cyano went from a thicker mat on 90% of the sandbed to light coverage on probably 50% of the sandbed. I also witnessed a bloom in pod population. I am seeing pods on the glass all day now. I’m still only cleaning the glass at most once a week. GHA is no longer advancing and the areas I’m picking are staying gone. No change on bubble algae at this point. Today is day 22 and NO3 is at 5ppm and PO4 is at .02 (nyos for no3 and Hanna ULM for po4). I’m doing a 20g change tomorrow, day 23, to get ahead on the cyano and because I’ll be gone for a few days I want to have the tank change free for a few days before I’m gone.

I’ll update this weekly so subsequent posts aren’t as lengthy. Also the pics I added were from day 0 of a patch of bubble algae and the cyano. The rock at the base of the one pic is also my GHA trouble spot.

AE76181A-F84D-48A2-9461-3FD6A55E621E.jpeg 93C2411C-3B7D-450D-91FD-845582AB81BF.jpeg

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience. Never used vibrant before but have definitely considered it recently due to hair algae and bubble algae.
I'll be following along.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in week 3 and my experiences are similar to yours. I have an 85 gallon tank. I dose 10 ml/week. How about you?

OP
OP
Fishguy_8

Fishguy_8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in week 3 and my experiences are similar to yours. I have an 85 gallon tank. I dose 10 ml/week. How about you?
I have a 60g and am doing 6mL a week. RWS6605 I’d recommend keeping a watchful eye on your no3 po4 I’d get a baseline and test at least once a week, if you catch these spikes faster than I did you might be lucky enough to skip the cyano blooms.

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60g and am doing 6mL a week. RWS6605 I’d recommend keeping a watchful eye on your no3 po4 I’d get a baseline and test at least once a week, if you catch these spikes faster than I did you might be lucky enough to skip the cyano blooms.
When I said "my experiences are similar to yours", I was referring to the fact that I already have a cyano outbreak;Blackeye

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking I will work on the lower dosage. 1ml/gal every other week.?? Other than GHA I would consider my tank clean?!? Here is a current shot. It is 55 total volume so going to do 5.5 mill every week. I do WCs on weekend so doing a late week dose may workout.

66C02EC6-F8BE-49BA-9F81-3A66442FF115.jpeg 6BB26536-5BB2-454A-97DA-668A1D6D9C6B.jpeg

OP
OP
Fishguy_8

Fishguy_8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking I will work on the lower dosage. 1ml/gal every other week.?? Other than GHA I would consider my tank clean?!? Here is a current shot. It is 55 total volume so going to do 5.5 mill every week. I do WCs on weekend so doing a late week dose may workout.

66C02EC6-F8BE-49BA-9F81-3A66442FF115.jpeg 6BB26536-5BB2-454A-97DA-668A1D6D9C6B.jpeg
Yea your sand seems to look cleaner than where i started but your gha is more widespread. Hopefully this pans out and will knock it back. I’m adding week 4 dose tomorrow. Details forthcoming.

Jamestown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting Vibrant tonight. I have a 45 Gal AIO tank that's battling some massive amounts of bubble algae. Nothing I've done has been able to address it. Going to dose conservatively and monitor Nitrates and Phosphates as suggested. Fingers crossed. I have some nice acros in my tank so i'm also a bit nervous but I'm at the point where I don't care what I have to do to get rid of this bubble algae. Hopefully good news to come.....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It works really well lol:). though I checked my nitrates today - and they were >100 (never been above 10 before - so obviously working)

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting Vibrant tonight. I have a 45 Gal AIO tank that's battling some massive amounts of bubble algae. Nothing I've done has been able to address it. Going to dose conservatively and monitor Nitrates and Phosphates as suggested. Fingers crossed. I have some nice acros in my tank so i'm also a bit nervous but I'm at the point where I don't care what I have to do to get rid of this bubble algae. Hopefully good news to come.....
I can happily report that my bubble algae is almost completely gone after a couple of weeks. Amazing!!

OP
OP
Fishguy_8

Fishguy_8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 4: the cyano has covered the sand bed again but this time not as thick. No3 is at 5ppm and po4 is at .02. The GHA has stopped spreading and doesn’t seem to have grown where it was still dug in at so I feel some progress has been made. The bubble algae remains the same. One noteworthy item is I had 7 snails (astrea)kick the bucket this week which have been with me for a good 8 months. Not sure if this could be a function of the nitrates having gone up, something in the product they may have been sensitive to, lack of the specific algae they feed on because of how much vibrant has knocked back glass cleaning Its possible it has made some reductions in food availability to them, or just dumb luck and snails die. The protein skimmer is well broke In now and I’m happy where I have it dialed in. I’m going to be away from the tank for several days so I initiated a 2 day black out to try and push back that cyano so I don’t come home to a red tank. Corals dont show any negative impact at this point either (stylo, pocillipora, euphylia, lepto, zoa, chalice time name a few).

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only coral change I've seen in 3 weeks is that my Duncan polyp extension is down a lot. Acros are doing great.

JCrowe86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if you can mix Vibrant with chemiclean to get rid of the cyano or should I just keep up with Vibrant until it goes away?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Vibrant after an 8 month battle of gha. I tried EVERYTHING. (Cuc, tangs, scrubbing EVERY rock with peroxide etc) I was almost to the point of giving up on my tank. About 4 weeks in ( I used 8 doses of vibrant total: 1x - week 2 weeks, then 2x a week 2 weeks, then 1x a week 2 weeks) my GHA was totally gone; 0 issues with my skimmer fish or corals, and no other algae issues, no cyano, nothing. It was seriously a miracle in a bottle for me. I still cant believe it. Good lord, I sound like an infomercial for Vibrant. I’m not selling anything! Lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone know if you can mix Vibrant with chemiclean to get rid of the cyano or should I just keep up with Vibrant until it goes away?
Since vibrant is a bacteria - and chemiclean is (supposedly) erythromycin -an antibiotic - I would say 'no'. but I dont know. perhaps ask on the vibrant forum- or their website

OP
OP
Fishguy_8

Fishguy_8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The folks at vibrant said, in regards to acros, it’s totally safe but to go slow. Which makes sense if you dose a bacteria that eats algae, that algae is releasing the no3 po4 back into the water column so I’d go slow and just make sure you are testing and increasing nutrient removal if possible. Also as for the cyano issue I had, I just did a 2 day black out the same day as my most recent dose, the sand went from over 90% coverage I’d say to gone. Try a black out before chemiclean if you are nervous about its reaction to vibrant.

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week two update. This weekend I did a large WC. Nitrates were around 40. Did second of Vibrant following WC. Doing 6ml once a week b/c have chaeto that I would like to keep. Today I decided to siphon clean the tank to the sump through a filter. I noticed that the GHA was easier to remove and large clumps had settled to sand bed. Usually the SB has clumps that are heavy and won’t siphon. This time they came right up! They weren’t holding onto as much sand as normal. Smaller roots?!?

There is still algae growing but it does appear to be slower.

I am slow pacing this so we shall see if it works like others have said. But it does seem to be working. Here are some shots before then today. I tired to keep the same shot perspective

1ECB3BA4-CCE2-4A66-B382-D54C72D61120.jpeg

After second dose.
DDDC9539-FB3D-4F45-B849-F9230EC9A591.jpeg
nitrates are back up to around 40. May have to do biweekly WC. Don’t want to risk my snails.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back