Vibration reduction for high head application

snackpack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening everyone

I'm looking to take some vibration out of my return line from my sump back up to the tank. It's currently hard plumbed with 1.5" PVC all the way up. I'm lifting directly up from a basement sump to a first floor DT. The PVC is supported by Holdrite insulated clamps in 3 locations. I believe the main source of vibration is the downwards pressure of the pipe itself pressing the pump downward into the bottom glass of the sump. Ideally I think I'd like to go with a short section of flexible hose, but I've not found anything that's even remotely flexible. Home Depot vinyl in 1.5" may as well be as rigid as PVC. Braided vinyl obviously that much worse. BRS sells silicone but only up to 1".

Anyone have a recommendation?

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look for hot tub tubing or spa tubing. It’s more flexible than vinyl tubing. It’s usually white and easily available from HD and other box stores. I’d recommend just ordering some silicone tubing from BRS, but make sure you also order some hose clamps to go with it. In higher pressure situations the silicone tubing can fail. It’s not a bad idea to replace it once a year. I personally had some come off a very my snug hose barb. Luckily I was home and noticed immediately. Once I put a plastic hose clamp on it I didn’t have that issue again.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
look for hot tub tubing or spa tubing. It’s more flexible than vinyl tubing. It’s usually white and easily available from HD and other box stores. I’d recommend just ordering some silicone tubing from BRS, but make sure you also order some hose clamps to go with it. In higher pressure situations the silicone tubing can fail. It’s not a bad idea to replace it once a year. I personally had some come off a very my snug hose barb. Luckily I was home and noticed immediately. Once I put a plastic hose clamp on it I didn’t have that issue again.
silicone tubing is much cheaper from amazon.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that much head pressure idk if I would trust soft hose. But here's a pad you could try

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to work at an lfs and we used the flexible pace spa tubing for all our installs. It could be tough to find at home depot or lowes sometimes, we used to buy it from poop supply places but you might have to get a 25 or 50 foot roll.

melanarus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I’m having similar issue. I have t’d a 1 1/4” PVC from the pump into 2 3/4” PVC up about 7 feet above the pump, while still in the basement.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back