Video: 5000mw laser is a success

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to a thread here on Reef2Reef, I was motivated to get a new laser to replace the one I bought three years ago and did a video about. I ordered one from Ebay from China, which took about 2.5 weeks to arrive. I was pretty excited to try out the new one but told the viewers on my channel to give me a little time to try it out before sharing the link.

I've used it a few times, and I'm really happy with my purchase. Here's the new video:

If you have questions, I probably answered them in the video. Maybe. :)

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it would work on vermetid snails? I’m starting to get overrun

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it would work on vermetid snails? I’m starting to get overrun
Dunno. I think the tube would block the beam and the worm would retract deeply... but let me know.

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno. I think the tube would block the beam and the worm would retract deeply... but let me know.

I was thinking the heat would fry them through the tube if you concentrate the beam on the base.
Thoughts?

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I went to the youtube video the link in the first post took me to a 5mw laser, and you say in the post it is 5mw.
I can see what the title says here.
The instruction page that came with it says 5000mw. Honestly, I don't know what's what. The link in that video shows 5000mw listed on the ad when you check the details.

OP
OP
melev

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the heat would fry them through the tube if you concentrate the beam on the base.
Thoughts?
Usually their tubes aren't shallow, so my thought is they will retract away from a hot spot. But I don't know for a fact either way.

jeffp1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one of the Gatlin style lasers about a month ago that was advertised as 5 MW on ebay and it fries everything in the tank. I use it for Paly, mushroom control. It will kill the vermetid snails if you can concentrate the beam on the base. My paperwork states that they are advertised as 5MW to get them past customs. Don't regret spending that $50.00 for sure.

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video and post. Thanks for sharing. I used a 1.2 for years with great success so I'm confident these stronger units will do even better.

As a side note/PSA: I burned a blister on my chest through a t-shirt from the reflected light a few years ago. It burned through the t-shirt 2x (it was in a wrinkle/fold) and still burned a blister on my skin LOL. Only took a millisecond and it stunk LOL. I think I still have the t-shirt in a box somewhere.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back