Video from my 9 year old SPS tank

sricorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a little over 9 years old right now. I rarely post outside of the dedicated forums but wanted to post this video of my tank as it currently looks. The lighting is Metal Halide and all the corals are from tiny frags that I let grow out over the last 18 months. Hope you enjoy the video!

Amazing!

OP
OP
JBNY

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you running in that beauty G-Man light fixture?

250 watt Radiums. T5 are 2 ATI Blue+ and 2 Coral+. I also have two Reefbrite Tech 72" Blue LEDs attached to the Spectra as well.

M007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I had the same fixture on my 120 but with 2 X 400 Radiums. Running Hamilton fixture on a 250 now with 3 X 250 Radiums, ATI B+, C+, 03, and Reefbrite strips. Yours the HO Reefbrites or regular?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazing reef!

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, the transformation over the last two years has been amazing but given your wet thumb it is not a surprise at all.

OP
OP
JBNY

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I had the same fixture on my 120 but with 2 X 400 Radiums. Running Hamilton fixture on a 250 now with 3 X 250 Radiums, ATI B+, C+, 03, and Reefbrite strips. Yours the HO Reefbrites or regular?

Regular Reefbrites, HO are really bright. Mine are only on for dawn and dusk effect. For dusk they come on about 3 hours before the lights go off.

Amazing reef!

Many Thanks!

Joe, the transformation over the last two years has been amazing but given your wet thumb it is not a surprise at all.

lol, that was a tough few years to get to this point. I learned a lot from the recovery though. Hopefully I will not have big problems for some time.

I wish to have 100th of the success you have with your reef in my next build!!

Very nice looking tannk!!

Thank you, the tank just take some dedication, I am sure you can do it too!

OP
OP
JBNY

JBNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Boops

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a little over 9 years old right now. I rarely post outside of the dedicated forums but wanted to post this video of my tank as it currently looks. The lighting is Metal Halide and all the corals are from tiny frags that I let grow out over the last 18 months. Hope you enjoy the video!

Really beautiful!

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Many thanks. I run no GFO. I stopped using it about 2 1/2 years ago. I use an ARID reactor for phosphate control, but in all honesty I stopped worrying about phosphates about 1 1/2 years ago. Last time I tested them (about 5 months ago) Phosphates were at 0.4 ppm.

Funny how things change in this hobby, I took a break the last 5 years, before that EVERYONE was running GFO, now it seems thinking has changed.

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi JBNY:

Not sure if you remember me, but many years ago you reached out to me in a thread I started on Michigan Reefers in 2009 titled "pjr goes 100% LED." The thread chronicled the journey of converting a 6 foot 135g tank from halides to all LED, which was quite uncharted territory back in 2009, especially with large tanks. That thread has pretty much gone dormant in the last 3 years, but did achieve 30,000 views the last time I checked.

Anyhow, you offered to send me a few frags back a few years ago Maybe 2013?) primarily because you wanted to see if I could grow pink SPS under LED. Attached is a pinch of the middle and right of the tank. You "frag" is the pink table starting at the left edge of the pic. To answer your question... yes, it can be done!

Hope all is well. If you need some frags to help kick-start efforts, let me know.

IMG_1107.JPG

creektree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SPS growth your getting is amazing! You clearly know what you're doing - fantastic. Let me ask... the tank pre-crash was really awesome also. What happened with the tank crash? Having a bunch of acros in my tank also, I'm always interested to know where things went sideways for folks. Anything you could share that we should avoid? Again, your tank is amazing - thanks!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back