Video - How to do a Freshwater Dip

Would this be ok to do to all new fish before qt?

It would be.. and it would give you a good idea if flukes are present from the beginning or flush out the gills if the fish comes in with velvet. On the other side of that, No you don't have to do it for every new fish.
 
Great video. I would have freaked out seeing the fish go limp if I had tried this without seeing the video first. I like the consistent narration throughout the video as well.

Thank you. most people freak out more than the fish does, especially during their first dip. I still don't know why my accent got so thick during the video lol
 
This video is great because it dispels the belief that performing a FW dip is a risky proposition. Like with everything else in this hobby, you just need to gain experience and become more comfortable doing it to build up your confidence. I'm sure most people were a nervous wreck the first time they fragged a coral. ;)
 
Great video, thanks for showing that. I would've totally freaked out if my fish laid over like that upon hitting the freshwater if I didn't know it was normal. Very informative!
 
What could possibly be the reason for a clownfish to be breathing heavily?

If its a new clown, Brooklynella is always a possibility. However, velvet or flukes can cause heavy breathing as well. So can ich - but clownfish are less likely to be affected by that.
 
Great video!! Will this work for all the disease that you have listed above or will this only work flukes? Thanks

It will only work like shown for flukes. A freshwater dip is helpful for the other diseases listed to clear out the gills of excess mucus that builds up when a parasite is in the gills. That mucus effectively suffocates the fish before the parasite can kill them. A freshwater dip can clear that out and buy you time to get the treatment set up and working.
 
Did you bother to up the PH at all? I have in the past. Most did not lose mobility.

Do you do it on all species of wrasses? I avoided it with some.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new