Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my qt tank everything is clean and the question I have is do i need to do anything to it before adding fish or will it cycle? All i have in it is new saltwater...

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my qt tank everything is clean and the question I have is do i need to do anything to it before adding fish or will it cycle? All i have in it is new saltwater...

You'll need an HOB filter. Its best to use a seeded sponge for it, but otherwise you can add a bottled bacteria product to help wtih the cycle. Frequent water changes will be needed to keep ammonia down.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You will need a filter (ex. Aquaclear, Marineland HOB) which utilizes bio-media (ex. sponge, bio-wheel) capable of hosting nitrifying bacteria.

You will then need a bottle of live bacteria (ex. Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability, Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria) to "seed" your bio-media with before using copper & other medications.

biga1106

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all are very small, you might be able to get away with that. Yes, Stability is a good product. It takes some time for it to become "live" though, so it's something to keep in mind and be prepared to do frequent water changes for the first week or two.

A fish can die quickly from flukes, that doesn't mean they will. You can dose prazi in your display now, since it's fairly reef-safe. You may see a problem with your feather dusters or a die-off of bristleworms.. though I have yet to see anybody report such problems. The only issue I saw when I did it, was that my montis faded in color for a while before bouncing back.

Did you have any issues with phosphates after ?? I've been doing some reading on this and I've seen a lot of people with raise in phosphate and algae problems after 2 doses of prazi pro in the DT ?? @melypr1985

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question @melypr1985 , I'm getting ready to start cycling my 65 gallon tank and QT for the very first time. Once it's all cycled and I QT my first group of fish, should I break the QT down until the next batch of fish? I just don't see the need to have the QT running for weeks or even months using the filter media. Also, I'm going to be using carbon and biomax pellets, is this ideal for saltwater?

mpjmeyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just found my answer actually. So the white foam filter that came with my powerfilter....after I'm done with the QT, I should break it all down and put that sponge in the sump so it keeps the bacteria...correct? Then when I need to QT again, I just use that same foam filter. Now after I use the foam filter in the QT again, do I purchase a new one and put the new one in the refugium so it collects bacteria for when I'll need that one?

lewis.maryann08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the HB filter running and I have a power head and some water pipe for hiding spots and now I need to get a sponge and run it in my DPT and then move it to the QT ? Do I have that right?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have any issues with phosphates after ?? I've been doing some reading on this and I've seen a lot of people with raise in phosphate and algae problems after 2 doses of prazi pro in the DT ?? @melypr1985
I did not actually. I suspect that algae issues these people are having are unrelated OR only partially caused by a die-off of bristle worms/feather dusters.
I have a question @melypr1985 , I'm getting ready to start cycling my 65 gallon tank and QT for the very first time. Once it's all cycled and I QT my first group of fish, should I break the QT down until the next batch of fish? I just don't see the need to have the QT running for weeks or even months using the filter media. Also, I'm going to be using carbon and biomax pellets, is this ideal for saltwater?
You can absolutely break down your QT in between batches of fish. I do!
I think I just found my answer actually. So the white foam filter that came with my powerfilter....after I'm done with the QT, I should break it all down and put that sponge in the sump so it keeps the bacteria...correct? Then when I need to QT again, I just use that same foam filter. Now after I use the foam filter in the QT again, do I purchase a new one and put the new one in the refugium so it collects bacteria for when I'll need that one?
No you wouldn't want to reuse the same sponge over and over. Definitely don't put the used sponge from a QT back into your display. Sponges are cheap, so buy several and just replace them with each batch of fish. You can keep them revolving in your sump so you always have one seeded.

biga1106

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you for responding @melypr1985 !! I will do my first dose tomorrow when I get home !! One last question [emoji52][emoji51]. Lol. If he doesn't get better and Keeps scratching on the rocks does that mean it's probably ich ?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you for responding @melypr1985 !! I will do my first dose tomorrow when I get home !! One last question [emoji52][emoji51]. Lol. If he doesn't get better and Keeps scratching on the rocks does that mean it's probably ich ?

It's fairly normal for the fish to continue to scratch shortly after flukes are gotten rid of, however... it may be a better idea to do a freshwater dip before dosing since it will give you a definitive answer as to if it's flukes or not.

Areseebee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very informative video. I'm curious about how "thorough" the cleaning needs to be. For instance I really can't get into every nook of my powerfilter, I know there is bacterial film in the U where I can't reach. I've soaked it in bleach, swished it around etc, do I need to worry about the fact that I can't completely wipe away all the bacterial film spots? My instinct is that it should be ok (eradicating bacteria isn't what I'm after, really) but wanted to ask.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very informative video. I'm curious about how "thorough" the cleaning needs to be. For instance I really can't get into every nook of my powerfilter, I know there is bacterial film in the U where I can't reach. I've soaked it in bleach, swished it around etc, do I need to worry about the fact that I can't completely wipe away all the bacterial film spots? My instinct is that it should be ok (eradicating bacteria isn't what I'm after, really) but wanted to ask.

No, the drying part is the most important of the whole process. The rest is helpful for sure in removing bio film and bacteria ect. All good things to remove especially when sterilizing a QT.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I read this correctly that Prazi Pro is reef safe? Is that also invert safe?

Yes, though there are risks. You'll want to watch your feather dusters and bristleworm populations may be affected as well.

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an added step or precaution I need to take in order to sterilize QT after uronema?

Does air drying for 3+ days kill that like ich?

My main concern is the aquaclear 30 I have in there. I will obviously be removing the media but not sure how long it would take for the little pump inside it to dry out so I will be soaking it submerged with everything else in bleach/water.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 72 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back