Viking_reefing’s 1000L upgrade. Risky fish and sps in Sweden.

Top_Lids

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a couple of jumpers since I set up this tank which I didn’t expect, never had that problem with a euro braced tank before…so I needed to find a solution.

Ive had the DIY stuff from DD/Read sea in the past and never found those all that esthetically pleasing.

I got in contact with @Top_Lids and they crafted me this beauty. It obviously took some time but we’ll worth the wait :)

1669490950646.jpeg

1669490972366.jpeg

In other news I will soon be testing a new light from giesemann, the V12, before it hits the market which should be interesting.
It’s basically the same fixture that I’m running now but an all LED fixture. Pumps out 710w and has both focused and diffused sections
I’ll report back with my findings.
We're very grateful that we could make rhis already showstopper tank that everyone knows on Instagram look just a bit more stunning :)

Enjoy the lifetime of protection man and hope to see the new Moray soon!

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're very grateful that we could make rhis already showstopper tank that everyone knows on Instagram look just a bit more stunning :)

Enjoy the lifetime of protection man and hope to see the new Moray soon!
Again, great job by you guys…real craftsmanship for sure.
As do I, I sure hope I can source one!

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer upgrade…kind of.

I’ve been running a bag of carbon on my skimmer lid to remove any smell and ozone that might escape from the skimmer. Looked like crap and not very effective:
1670222273223.jpeg

However royal exclusive recently released an accessory that fixes both issues:
1670222345800.jpeg

Probably won’t have much of an effect on the tank overall but dang it was satisfying getting those on there haha

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from a week away from the tank. Overall there’s been no major disasters but unfortunately something is going on with the semilarvatus.
It’s was really lethargic and breathing fast, just hanging out in a corner of the tank.
Really surprising as it was fine a couple of days ago when my neighbor feed the tank and sent me some videos.
I pulled it and put it in my QT to avoid a anything picking at it now that it’s compromised and go from there.

On my way home from our Christmas trip I stopped by my lfs which was in the way and picked up a peppermint hogfish…not ideal as it’s now sharing the QT with the semi but it is what it is.
1672482516579.jpeg

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the semi didn’t make it for whatever reason. Started eating again in the QT and it was dead the next morning…really strange situation.

On a positive note I took some time to do a full overview of the gear that runs the tank if anyone’s interested:

Salty Duck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a couple of jumpers since I set up this tank which I didn’t expect, never had that problem with a euro braced tank before…so I needed to find a solution.

Ive had the DIY stuff from DD/Read sea in the past and never found those all that esthetically pleasing.

I got in contact with @Top_Lids and they crafted me this beauty. It obviously took some time but we’ll worth the wait :)

1669490950646.jpeg

1669490972366.jpeg

In other news I will soon be testing a new light from giesemann, the V12, before it hits the market which should be interesting.
It’s basically the same fixture that I’m running now but an all LED fixture. Pumps out 710w and has both focused and diffused sections
I’ll report back with my findings.
Hey dude, beautiful tank. Did you get the Giesemann Aurora V12 yet? Would love to hear your feedback on it

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got back from a week away from the tank. Overall there’s been no major disasters but unfortunately something is going on with the semilarvatus.
It’s was really lethargic and breathing fast, just hanging out in a corner of the tank.
Really surprising as it was fine a couple of days ago when my neighbor feed the tank and sent me some videos.
I pulled it and put it in my QT to avoid a anything picking at it now that it’s compromised and go from there.

On my way home from our Christmas trip I stopped by my lfs which was in the way and picked up a peppermint hogfish…not ideal as it’s now sharing the QT with the semi but it is what it is.
1672482516579.jpeg
That’s one beautiful fish

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey dude, beautiful tank. Did you get the Giesemann Aurora V12 yet? Would love to hear your feedback on it
Not yet. However, it’s finished but apparently they’ve had some issues with covid at the factory so shipping was delayed. Should get it next week.
That’s one beautiful fish
Yeah, they have such a cool pattern!

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently upgraded my flow as the octos weren’t really meeting my needs. Went with 4 x mp40’s and got dang was that an improvement. I threw together a video about my process and thoughts about them if anyone’s interested :)

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A FTS as things stand now
1677396285591.jpeg

Super impressed with both the Aurora V12 and mp40’s! I’ll be doing a full write up on the V12 when I’ve had some more experience with it.

In other news I have a new idol in QT. Like usual it’s eating like a champ, crushing both pellets, flakes and frozen.
I will be using an acclimatization box when I introduce it to avoid the disaster with the e achilles that happened last time. I had a great result doing that with the imperator.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful tank. Looking forward to more reviews of the Aurora V12, but from your review, it looks like a great fixture.

Can you tell me about the three powerheads and their rotating mechanism on the back wall? The pumps look familiar but I haven't seen the mechanism before. It looks like a sea sweep but much smaller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank. Looking forward to more reviews of the Aurora V12, but from your review, it looks like a great fixture.

Can you tell me about the three powerheads and their rotating mechanism on the back wall? The pumps look familiar but I haven't seen the mechanism before. It looks like a sea sweep but much smaller.
Thanks man!
Yeah, I couldn’t be happier with the V12. Hopefully they get distribution of it in the states soon as well.

They are OceanMotion engines. Basically the same thing as with sea sweeps but sleeker looking and they can design mounts for any pump you like. I actually did a video on them a while back if you wanna get a more in-depth view

OceanMotion walkthrough - truly random flow for your reef tank!

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks man!
Yeah, I couldn’t be happier with the V12. Hopefully they get distribution of it in the states soon as well.

They are OceanMotion engines. Basically the same thing as with sea sweeps but sleeker looking and they can design mounts for any pump you like. I actually did a video on them a while back if you wanna get a more in-depth view

OceanMotion walkthrough - truly random flow for your reef tank!

Awesome! Just subscribed to your channel. Great content!

OP
OP
Viking_Reefing

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viking,
‘That’s an incredibly beautiful tank. Cannot stop staring at the photos. Well done!

David

Incredible-looking tank, great job!
Appreciate it guys. You are far to kind!

In other news my new moorish idol is doing awesome after 2 weeks in QT and another week in an acclimatization box.
The darn achilles is so aggressive these day so it will kill anything I put in the tank if I don’t take some precautions. I also mounted mirrors and taped pictures of tangs to the tank when I released the idol (well, it kind of escaped from the box when I tried to get some damsels out that had made their way in there).

The idol had a rough couple of days but the achilles was only chasing and not slashing so I felt confident it would work out.

1678898394813.jpeg

The idol is a pig when it comes to food like they tend to be feeding on everything offered. Time to grow to dinner plate size like my old idol fat Frank.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back