Vinegar Dosing Question

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's daily and IMO it's really excessive, as you can realize for yourself if you read the entire article. I use 240ml/8oz vinegar 8 tsp kalk mix it up then pour it into 5 gallons RO/DI water and top off over 4 to 5 days. This IMO is a good starting point. I go by this article: kalkwasser

OP
OP
Martyd

Martyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to go kalkwasser/vinegar in the RO route? What is a reasonable dosage per 50 gal? I have a smaller tank (65 gal) with softies, LPS and clams. I use b-ionic., as it works well for me and I think using kalkwasser would be overkill.

Nuocmam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC most people will reach .4-.6 mls per gallon when they reach undetectable nitrates.

Last edited:

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IIRC most people will reach 4-6 mls per gallon when they reach undetectable nitrates.

I think you meant to say .4-.6 mls per gallon.

I agree with the others as mentioned above. Those end dosages on that table are about 60% too high when you settle into a steady state of dosing. High levels produce the sludge, nitrate limiting which leads to PO4 not wanting to go down more. Then people chase PO4 down with GFO or start dosing nitrate or add aminos, more food, ect. and never give the tank a chance to balance out or settle in.

Dosing vinegar requres patience in terms of months to find a good balance.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on the excess amount of vinegar. I dose Vodka, much less on a MLS measure, easier to put on a daily drip cycle.
And the Doses are done daily. If you miss one Dose, do not add it all at the same time on the next dose. Using that much should be broken up into 2 different time intervals also, tryin to keep em 12 hours apart, or put it on a drip system.

OP
OP
Martyd

Martyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already see benefits at 3 ml per day. I'm not sure if will take it all the way to 25 ml (figuring 50 gal of water in my 65 gal). I know that estimate is low and does not take the sump into consideration, but better safe than sorry.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see benefits from 3 mls a day in a 50g tank? Hmm, that doesn't sound right, not with vinegar. Vinegar dosing takes way more to knock down Trates than Vodka does, and just to start them coming down, I'd have figured youd be WAYWAY more than that, and your only into week 1? Mind me asking what your readings are?

OP
OP
Martyd

Martyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I wanting to see a difference, but my glass stays cleaner and less brown algae forms on it.

Back