• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Violet Sea Fish and Coral

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Spardas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This review is for my recent order from Violet Sea Fish and Coral. They are from San Jose.

I contacted them back in early December after reading a positive review of their company here. They were quick to respond to my queries but I didn't make a purchase until 1/11.

1st Order: Advertised as 18" Koran and Show size Xmas Island Puffer
Communication: On time and prompt for the most part. Madhu is their representative if you contact via text. He will provide videos if requested and will answer queries. The Koran looked more to be 14"-15" in the video but I was fine with it and didn't ask about the size difference as I was still happy with a 14"-15" Koran. He did offer to swap it for a similar sized Emperor angel as a replacement for the Koran but it seems like one of the staff sold it before he got to the store so we agreed on the Koran. He did not have an Xmas Island Puffer on hand but noted he had a smaller golden puffer from Indonesia that he can ship out right away or I can wait until he recieved the Xmas Island Puffer. I opted to wait and he was willing to ship both on different dates with my preference for method of delivery. He also offered a refund if I didn't wanted to wait. (5/5).

Packing and Shipping: The shipment of the Koran was through Southwest NFG. Violet Sea paid extra for this service ($130) to ensure the fish would get to me as soon as possible. However, Southwest messed up bad and bumped my shipment until the next morning and the fish arrived late by 12 hours. I was actually at the Southwest cargo area where they noted the fish arrived but they found out the box wasn't physically there.
Madhu reached out that night asking if fish arrived and I told him what happened. He advised he will cover the fish if it does not make it. It finally arrived at 8:30 AM the next day but I was not able to make it until about 3 PM. I had to let him know and he stood behind his guarantee. I called Southwest when it was marked "received" to make sure it was physically at the facility and it was. Fearing for the worst, I came for the box and it was slightly damp in the bottom. I brought it home quickly and opened up the package. The box weighed about 80 lbs and the fish was packed in a 29 x 16 x 26 package. It was actually 2 large styrofoam box with the fish bagged inside. There was no heating packs but Madhu advised they don't ship with heat packs for Southwest NFG. The water was about 40F and the fish was quite stressed out but still breathing and swimming. I acclimated slowly for 2.5 hours as the temperature and salinity was way off. They keep their livestock around 1.026 - 1.027. I usually keep my 1st week QT at 1.019 then transfer to hyposalinity @ 1.009. Madhu said to let him know if anything happens and guarantee the fish. The Koran is doing well now and eating frozen and nori but I'm still trying to get it on pellets. I ordered some of the pellets they used to see if it will eat but I think the fish will have no issues eating pellets.
The Xmas Island Puffer arrived to their store on 1/18 and I requested the shipment for Monday shipment/Tuesday delivery. He did not ship out Monday as it was MLK day and he was afraid UPS might screw up so it was shipped on Tuesday for Wednesday delivery. His fear was on point as UPS botched up the order. The puffer came in a brown box and it looked strange to me. I opened it only to see a big green bag and then the fish bag inside. There was no foam box or heat packs so as I acclimated the puffer, I had to let him know. At 1st, he was confused because I didn't send him any pictures yet but after I sent him pictures of the box, we realized UPS must have broken the original box which had the heat packs and put it in their own bag and box. I never had this happened before and the poor puffer was super stressed swimming in only about 1 gallon of freezing water (40 F). It was ballooned on arrival and during the acclimation for a little more than 1 hour. Total acclimation time was 3 hours to bring temp and salinity in line. Madhu advised he will take care of it if it die and he filed a complaint to UPS. Both shipments had mishap due to the shipping company to no fault of the shipper and Violet Sea will stand by their guarantee. (5/5) for Violet Sea and (0/5) for Southwest/UPS.
Live Specimen: Both fishes arrived in horrible condition to no fault of Violet Sea, the shipper. The Koran is doing well in QT and is a stunning specimen. The puffer is a beautiful 11"-12" specimen and is active in QT. The puffer has not started eating yet but I'm attributing this to the quick shipments as well as the horrible shipping experience with UPS. The quality of the fish itself is great. (5/5)

All in all, the shipping fiasco has been a headache for myself and Violet Sea. However, they stand behind their guarantee and willing to work with me if the fishes die. I would recommend this business, just extremely frustrated at Southwest and UPS.

20200122_100856.jpg 20200122_182640.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shame on ups! Hope the fishies do well...

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back