Viparspectra 165w (NEW MODEL FIX!!!!)

saltyMJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about two months ago I decided to upgrade our reef lights to the viparspectra 165w. After doing some research I landed on this model for the price and for the reviews I read from multiple people on here. After getting the new light I was thrown off when the lighting power only went up by 10% increments. Especially since most people said they keep the white lights at 1-3%. Oh well, I thought. I put the whites on 10% (lowest setting) and acclimated the tank. Well all my corals shriveled up and started dying after about a month. I was not happy. I contacted viparspectra support and explained to them how I was unhappy with the newer model upgrades to this light. To my surprise they said they could just send me the older model timer and I could replace it myself and then the lights would be adjustable by 1%. And what do you know it worked!! Got the old timer in the mail (they did not charge me) and replaced the new one and now I have the whites down at 1%. Corals are finally starting to look happy-ish now. Huge shout out to viparspectra customer service!!!

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going through this myself. Just got a newer v165 the other day and didn’t realize they updated them to only do 10% +/-. I sent them an email in hopes that they do the same for me.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the e-mail su
So about two months ago I decided to upgrade our reef lights to the viparspectra 165w. After doing some research I landed on this model for the price and for the reviews I read from multiple people on here. After getting the new light I was thrown off when the lighting power only went up by 10% increments. Especially since most people said they keep the white lights at 1-3%. Oh well, I thought. I put the whites on 10% (lowest setting) and acclimated the tank. Well all my corals shriveled up and started dying after about a month. I was not happy. I contacted viparspectra support and explained to them how I was unhappy with the newer model upgrades to this light. To my surprise they said they could just send me the older model timer and I could replace it myself and then the lights would be adjustable by 1%. And what do you know it worked!! Got the old timer in the mail (they did not charge me) and replaced the new one and now I have the whites down at 1%. Corals are finally starting to look happy-ish now. Huge shout out to viparspectra customer service!!!
is the email - [email protected]?

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old timer is no longer available.

john_ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any luck??
i got a reply from them. They said their was nothing they can do. I asked if they can send me the old timer.
The old timer is no longer available.
Hang in there! I too have two newer model Viparspectra 165's. Back in September '23, I reached out to their support department regarding the older model replacement timers. Although initially, they didn't have any in stock, I persisted by sending a single follow-up email once per month, every month. Their support team, always polite, finally came through on the 5th try in early January '24, informing me that they had two timers available and would be shipping them to me. I received both a week later. It just goes to show that persistence, patience, and a touch of kindness in communication can yield positive results. While I can't guarantee this approach will work for everyone, it certainly increased my odds. Don't lose hope, don't be rude, just keep at it!

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there! I too have two newer model Viparspectra 165's. Back in September '23, I reached out to their support department regarding the older model replacement timers. Although initially, they didn't have any in stock, I persisted by sending a single follow-up email once per month, every month. Their support team, always polite, finally came through on the 5th try in early January '24, informing me that they had two timers available and would be shipping them to me. I received both a week later. It just goes to show that persistence, patience, and a touch of kindness in communication can yield positive results. While I can't guarantee this approach will work for everyone, it certainly increased my odds. Don't lose hope, don't be rude, just keep at it!
Did they send them out free to you ?

Necrodaemus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad that they followed through and resolved this. I no longer have the Viparspectra but very happy to see that there is hope for those with the newer models and wish to have better fine control over channel intensity.

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad that worked for you, But i dont have time to do all that or the desire. They dont want to fix the issue at hand ill just switch brands or better yet just get a raspberry pi and delete the timer all together, plus i can ramp the fixture.

smallcrpt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad that worked for you, But i dont have time to do all that or the desire. They dont want to fix the issue at hand ill just switch brands or better yet just get a raspberry pi and delete the timer all together, plus i can ramp the fixture.
Do you have a write up on how to do this? I've got a spare pi and some tinkering abilities!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back