Viparspectra 165watt, Anyone using these?

stingeragent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up the 165W for my 20 gallon tank. It is replacing a nicrew 50 watt light which I liked and my corals seemed to enjoy, it just didn't spread enough light across the tank. Currently running at 30 blues and 1 white which I have seen as a good starting point from the posts here. I have the light 15" from the water.

IMG_20200819_153558.jpg

Brent Harpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it I have I had a little shift around and added my orange mushroom,and gave the tank a bit of a clean as I hadn't cleaned the glass for 2 weeks
Screenshot_20200730-220907_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200730-221037_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20200730-221008_Gallery.jpg

do you ever see this with your hammers? I’m a little confused as to what this could be I didn’t think hammers encrusted a foot type thing to hold themselves down but that’s what it looks like. If that’s not what it is any ideas on what it could be?

1CB2C4A4-D344-45CF-A8BD-7600EDB8E092.jpeg

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you ever see this with your hammers? I’m a little confused as to what this could be I didn’t think hammers encrusted a foot type thing to hold themselves down but that’s what it looks like. If that’s not what it is any ideas on what it could be?

1CB2C4A4-D344-45CF-A8BD-7600EDB8E092.jpeg
I'd say it's probably a sponge of some sort.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else see the @Bulk Reef Supply Black Box showdown? I was happy with the winner :). I keep hoping to find out what the distance from the fixture the par was measured; was it at the surface or the bottom of the 24” cube?

I think for their tests they typically do 6", 12", and 18" deep from what I have seen. Not sure which they used for this b/c I think they only listed the mounting height and not sensor depth. (I was watching at work the other day and got distracted)

Jawfishracing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watch it, there some good info, too bad they couldn't resist trying to push them aside for their lights. Some people need to realized that the hobby is at risk of pricing itself out of the ordinary people... Glad to know that Viperspectra had a decent spectrum and it do come on top on all the other comparison also. I can't help myself about trying to find a diffuser solution.

I have one 165W for my Coral QT 35 gallon cube and I'm getting two 300W for 40gallon Breeder frag tanks. Pnanning on testing LSP and SPS. @Nicholas Dushynsky definetly proved that is hammer are doing great under this light.

cheers
Fred

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for their tests they typically do 6", 12", and 18" deep from what I have seen. Not sure which they used for this b/c I think they only listed the mounting height and not sensor depth. (I was watching at work the other day and got distracted)

You’re right. They never say the sensor depth, but roughly comparing the numbers from icejam’s post earlier in the thread (readings taken at 22” from the sensor) and comparing them to the numbers BRS gets at a 9” hanging height, it looks like the readings were taken at 12” under the water surface.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_4072.JPG
DSC_4073.JPG
I have had it since December, yeah so far I bought a frag pack off the Internet as 1" sps frags, one has trippled in size and the other 2 have decided to just grow across the rock as opposed to upwards so they do grow sps (first time trying sps mind). I'm still tinkering with the settings. I have got it mounted on a modified TV Wall bracket and I have made a surround around the light out of clear plastic with vynal wrap to match the tank.
That is a great idea for a mount, I will definitely use something similar to hang mine. Thanks for sharing

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else see the @Bulk Reef Supply Black Box showdown? I was happy with the winner :). I keep hoping to find out what the distance from the fixture the par was measured; was it at the surface or the bottom of the 24” cube?

I saw it, and it almost seemed that it hurt them to do a review on what they considered an inferior product.

They mispronounced Viparspectra so many times that is was like watching a comedy act, they seemed to be in competition to see how many different ways they could butcher the name.

On another site I asked about these lights and one Reefer gave not only a good review but showed growth he had experienced with them on an SPS tank. Since I had been away from the hobby for many years, I took his advice and purchased them.

I hope to have that type of success

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw it, and it almost seemed that it hurt them to do a review on what they considered an inferior product.

They mispronounced Viparspectra so many times that is was like watching a comedy act, they seemed to be in competition to see how many different ways they could butcher the name.

On another site I asked about these lights and one Reefer gave not only a good review but showed growth he had experienced with them on an SPS tank. Since I had been away from the hobby for many years, I took his advice and purchased them.

I hope to have that type of success

I agree. I think they intentionally butchered the names, but I appreciate all the data they collected. I tried the marsaqua, and I took them down and sent them back within two hours of hanging them above my tank. The Vipars have done really well for me. I unintentionally found the 14” sweet spot when I first hung them, so it’s nice to see some validating numbers from that hanging point. I supplement mine with diy led strips and t5 bulbs, but after seeing this think all that may be unnecessary. These corals will grow colonies from frags just as well as any other light, but remember that light is only a small part of the equation.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I think they intentionally butchered the names, but I appreciate all the data they collected. I tried the marsaqua, and I took them down and sent them back within two hours of hanging them above my tank. The Vipars have done really well for me. I unintentionally found the 14” sweet spot when I first hung them, so it’s nice to see some validating numbers from that hanging point. I supplement mine with diy led strips and t5 bulbs, but after seeing this think all that may be unnecessary. These corals will grow colonies from frags just as well as any other light, but remember that light is only a small part of the equation.
My 120 gal will be going up soon, and like you, I did take away good info from the review. The one thing is that 14 to 18" sweetspot. I went down to my basement to see if I had the room over the tank and I have over 24" so I'll be hanging them at about the 14 inch mark

Brent Harpe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did see this as well mine are currently 9” above the water but turned down to 40%blue and 5% white. Made me think about ways to get mine up to 14 inches. But I started thinking that maybe being turned back is it similar to the 14” 100% mark?

Semisonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see this as well mine are currently 9” above the water but turned down to 40%blue and 5% white. Made me think about ways to get mine up to 14 inches. But I started thinking that maybe being turned back is it similar to the 14” 100% mark?

I follow your logic, but the height is needed to blend the leds together to prevent disco and smooth out the spread to prevent hot spots. If you cant raise the lights any higher, then I’d seriously consider removing the lenses; thats what will give the same effect as raising the lights higher. Mine are at 14” and I may still experiment with taking off the lenses and running at a higher percentage.

Bulk Reef Supply

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The par meter's sensor was placed 6" below the surface of the water. For reference, that's the same as all of our other lighting tests that we've been doing.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I watched it several times and certainly appreciate the time taken to test them all.
A LFS in another city I recently worked, had several Viparspectra and recommended them as a no-frills light solution. Following the BRS recommendation I hung a 300w at 14" over a 48" 90-gal., and running them at 100-blue 50-white for 14-hours. It's a new tank setup so the only thing it's done so far is grow some gnarly algae dude!!!

I use this for a tank cover and hope to find out soon how that setup works for a diffuser.
1602565933768.png

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone give me an idea on how loud the fans are on the 165w model? I’ve got an AI Prime 16HD right now and running at 100% it’s quite intrusively loud. I’ve tried running lower % which reduces fan noise but then my zoas start stretching. My tank is 60cm long x 40cm x 40cm and I can’t help but feel the Viparspectra would give much better coverage end to end.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back