Viparspectra 165watt, Anyone using these?

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread, but they are most likely because the water is flowing downwards, Nicholas.
As in the sps growing downwards? If so yeah I thought that. I know it's an old thread but the purpose was to find out who was using these lights and every so often an update to see if anyone has gone away from them or what their experiences are of using them over time and how well or not growing?

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing your tank Nicholas? Tank looks great
Hi. Thanks and Yes I'm dosing alkalinity and calcium via a doser as was doing it manually but got fed up doing that. I use Randys Holmes Farleys recipe 2 for both. It is alot cheaper than the Brightwell aquatics powders that I was using before.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9335.JPG

Update on my Tank using a viparspectra with an added Reefbrite strip
Why did you add the reefbrite bar?

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timer stopped working on one of my 165w. Have to manually turn on and off for now. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timer stopped working on one of my 165w. Have to manually turn on and off for now. Any ideas?
How old is the light? Have you opened it up to have a look inside? How high off the tank is it and is it enclosed in a canopy? Don't forget the light is above saltwater and has holes and vents with a fan so draws in the evaporation moisture. Is it just the timer not working but the display is and you can adjust the time etc. There is a backup battery inside the light for the timer I believe.

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the light? Have you opened it up to have a look inside? How high off the tank is it and is it enclosed in a canopy? Don't forget the light is above saltwater and has holes and vents with a fan so draws in the evaporation moisture. Is it just the timer not working but the display is and you can adjust the time etc. There is a backup battery inside the light for the timer I believe.
Light is 4 months old. Haven't opened it as I dont wanna void warranty. Works fine, just requires manually turning on and off for no apparent reason. My other 2 work fine, 12" above surface. Just curious if anyone else had an issue with this.

ac1546698917dd840b1e6f2f7f46fdb4.jpg

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if its only 4 months old I'd get in touch with the supplier of it and see what they suggest as your others are working fine.
Working it from that side as well. Given that the fixture is Chinese produced and sold on eBay, I'm not 100% confidant that customer service will fully address the issue. So far, they have narrowed the issue down to the remote control lolol

Jimmy Sanders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Jimmy I have 55 gallon reef aquarium how many of the Viparspectra light I need I have two of them I have them set at whites 20% and blues at 80% is that ok

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 81.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back