Viparspectra light settings

Kingkold020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Viparspectra 165w sitting over my 47 gallon since the start but the settings are extremely odd. Everywhere I see people saying they can increase in increments of 1% yet mine only increases in increments of 10%. The 10% minimum in the white light is clearly way too much as my algae is starting to get ridiculous (I only run my lights 6 hours a day) 2pm-8pm. Are there any fixes for this or do I just cut my losses and get a new light?

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my Viparspectra 165w sitting over my 47 gallon since the start but the settings are extremely odd. Everywhere I see people saying they can increase in increments of 1% yet mine only increases in increments of 10%. The 10% minimum in the white light is clearly way too much as my algae is starting to get ridiculous (I only run my lights 6 hours a day) 2pm-8pm. Are there any fixes for this or do I just cut my losses and get a new light?
Depend on how comfortable you are to work with soldier iron... I follow this post and change my viparspectra 300. I can grow any SPS and LPS with issues. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/change-viparspectra-led-layout-any-advice-welcome.589190/

Upvote 0

tedfisher496

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed customer support to see if they can send me a old timer.

Upvote 0

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vipar Lights need to by hung about 20 inches above the water line first. BRS did a video on lights, the vipars are in that video, 18 to 30 inches I think it said.
When I ran mine, I was 18 inches above water line, 27inches of water. 10% white on for 8 hours, 100% blues for 12 hours!!

Ugly Algae isn't caused by too much light, it is caused by too many nutrients in your water, feed less to lower your Nitrate and Phos build ups and get a good skimmer to remove excess.

I'd also suggest you get a PAR METER and set your lights with the meter. It seriously makes a noticeable difference in your growth rates of your coral.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back