Viparspectra settings!!!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi what size tank,how high are lights from surface ,top on tank?

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would help to know what kind of Coral's your keeping tank size & the number of lights you have. But just in general terms for the spectrum I have been running the white channel at 10% of the blue channel over lps & White at 20%of blue channel over sps. no science to back that up but that's what I have got the best coloration with personally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saltydrummer

Saltydrummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would help to know what kind of Coral's your keeping tank size & the number of lights you have. But just in general terms for the spectrum I have been running the white channel at 10% if the blue channel over lps & White at 20%of blue channel over sps. no science to back that up but that's what I have got the best coloration with personally.
Tank is 50 gallon and I have the light about 13 inches up. Mostly softies in my tank as of right now.
I'm at 10% white 30% blue right now

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Obvious question, but just making sure that we are talking about the 165w. Also confirming that you have one light above the 50g tank. I'm assuming that is a 3' wide tank - does it have a center brace?

I recently got (2) 165w to put over a 75g. One approach is to start at 3 white and 30 blue and then adjust from there depending on what your corals tell you.

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 50 gallon and I have the light about 13 inches up. Mostly softies in my tank as of right now.
I'm at 10% white 30% blue right now
I would say your in the ballpark but on the high side for softy's. It's impossible to say for sure with out a par meter, things as simple as a difference in water clarity can change par from one tank to the next. But the viper's are very powerful lights, the white channel seems very strong even at low settings

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hove LPS dominated tank 47"x19"x19"
I run white at 1% for 8hours and blue at 40% for 12 hours. I lower blues to 30% for a day or two when i acclimate new LPS at the bottom.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
centered over 40 breeder at about 14" white 5% blue 40% 8 hour cycle blues on 8 white 6 hrs 1 before 1 after w blue
165 wtt

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

I have 2 Viparspectra 165's on my 90 gallon. Lights are 7" above water surface (i do not recommend setting it this low). My blues are at 35% and whites at 4%. I have softies, lps, and sps.

The following link is a really long thread but incredibly helpful. I recommend reading/skimming through the entire thread. You'll find people posting their settings as well as one member who shared their PAR meter results.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for settings advice on the 30" model (T300) over a 36" tank.

I currently have the light set 13" above the water, with a 16" deep tank. so roughly 28"-29" from light to sand bed.

Current settings
Ch1 (Blues) 30% on for 12 hours (noon until midnight)
Ch2 (White) 1% on for 8 hours. (2pm until 10pm)

I've had the settings like this for the past 2 weeks and some of my Euphyllia (Hammer and Octospawn) are looking sorta bleached. My Octo had nice dark, almost black tentacles with bright yellow tips, now many of the tentacles are almost see through and seem to be losing the darker coloring. My hammer also seems to be losing a bit of color in its tentacles too...

At this point, I'm not sure if I'm giving them too much light, or not enough... At 30% and 1%, I can't believe I'm giving them too much light.... based on reports of others, so I'm wondering if I'm not giving them enough light. Reading the forums, seems most people say Euphyllia are pretty tolerant of light levels and will adjust, so i'm not sure what to do at this point. I don't want to keep tinkering with the lights leading to more stress, but I'm really not sure how I go about getting this right without a PAR meter.

My LFS does not have a PAR meter and actually looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked if they did....
There are no local clubs around me that have one.... BRS rental seems to be my only option for a PAR meter, but was hoping to avoid that expense.

I really didn't think lighting would be this difficult to figure out.... I sure wish my corals could talk!

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking for settings advice on the 30" model (T300) over a 36" tank.

I currently have the light set 13" above the water, with a 16" deep tank. so roughly 28"-29" from light to sand bed.

Current settings
Ch1 (Blues) 30% on for 12 hours (noon until midnight)
Ch2 (White) 1% on for 8 hours. (2pm until 10pm)

I've had the settings like this for the past 2 weeks and some of my Euphyllia (Hammer and Octospawn) are looking sorta bleached. My Octo had nice dark, almost black tentacles with bright yellow tips, now many of the tentacles are almost see through and seem to be losing the darker coloring. My hammer also seems to be losing a bit of color in its tentacles too...

At this point, I'm not sure if I'm giving them too much light, or not enough... At 30% and 1%, I can't believe I'm giving them too much light.... based on reports of others, so I'm wondering if I'm not giving them enough light. Reading the forums, seems most people say Euphyllia are pretty tolerant of light levels and will adjust, so i'm not sure what to do at this point. I don't want to keep tinkering with the lights leading to more stress, but I'm really not sure how I go about getting this right without a PAR meter.

My LFS does not have a PAR meter and actually looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked if they did....
There are no local clubs around me that have one.... BRS rental seems to be my only option for a PAR meter, but was hoping to avoid that expense.

I really didn't think lighting would be this difficult to figure out.... I sure wish my corals could talk!
hi,ramp up slow ,work up to 5% white 40 -45% blue over 7-10 day period ,check all params ,if have not already :)

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,ramp up slow ,work up to 5% white 40 -45% blue over 7-10 day period ,check all params ,if have not already :)

Thanks, I see where you posted that you are running your blues 8 hours and whites 6 hours.....
I'm currently at 12 hours for blues and 8 hours for whites... but at a lower intensity. currently 35%/1% (I turned my blues up 5% more starting today)

The LFS that sold me the hammer and octo said they run their lights 12/12, so that's what I went with for photo period.... but maybe that's too much for a newish tank like mine.

krsurc311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obvious question, but just making sure that we are talking about the 165w. Also confirming that you have one light above the 50g tank. I'm assuming that is a 3' wide tank - does it have a center brace?

I recently got (2) 165w to put over a 75g. One approach is to start at 3 white and 30 blue and then adjust from there depending on what your corals tell you.
I just purchased the same for my 75. What times do you have your lights set on for each channel?

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old but I'm curious everyone runs their 165 watt vipar so low but iv had mine over a 65 gal 12 inches above the water and running it 12 hrs blue 100% 8hrs white 20% and recently checked with a par meter and changing to 100% blue 50% white seems to get the right par everywhere! But seems triple what others use?

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old but I'm curious everyone runs their 165 watt vipar so low but iv had mine over a 65 gal 12 inches above the water and running it 12 hrs blue 100% 8hrs white 20% and recently checked with a par meter and changing to 100% blue 50% white seems to get the right par everywhere! But seems triple what others use?
Blue Led's show up less on par meters. The par is really more than it reads. Depending on what meter you have.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But seems triple what others use?
these lights are strong, dont play the par game. Its just a stupid number. I ran what you did and cooked all my coral for years with no growth and only loss. My tank is 30" deep 210 G tank, and im running 1% B and W with B on 8 hours and W on 6 hours and growth is through the roof again. Turn that crap down.

Cajun Floridian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Viparspectra 165w led 14 1/2 inches from the water on a 32 gallon biocube. I have the blues only on 9% and the whites on 3%. Using my Seneye par meter I am getting 250-320 4 inches below the surface, 140-180 halfway half way down center of the tank, and 95- 115 on the sand bed. Are these readings normal? Because I'm seeing people suggest light intensities much higher than what I have them set at now.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't play the par games. Numbers don't grow corals. Your at higher end of what's needed and par meters often don't read accurate. I run 1% in a 30" deep tank and growth is awesome for LPS

Cajun Floridian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok awesome thanks, I had a feeling that was the case. I'll be setting my light to the same intensity, it's pretty impressive how strong this light truly is and how little of it's power is really needed. I hope people out there see this thread and refrain from cranking this light too high and frying corals.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back