Vodka Dosing

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This peaked my interest and I wondered if anyone here doses with vodka? I would love to hear opinions.

Terri

Users note a dramatic decrease in nitrate and phosphate molecules, while others note increased coral coloration and clearer water.

It has been reported that addition of certain organics can help enhance the appearance of the reef aquarium by reducing nitrates and phosphates. Our discussion is focused on vodka addition. The reason vodka is used in comparison to other spirits such as whiskey, gin, or brandy is that vodka is more pure in composition than most other spirits because of its process of distillation.

The main purpose to dose organic carbon is the reduction of excess nutrients in the reef aquaria. The two main nutrients reduced from organic carbon addition are nitrate and phosphate molecules (NO3 and PO4 respectfully). The reduction of phosphates, in turn, allows for enhanced calcification and growth of corals. Additionally, lower NO3 and PO4 have the added benefit of reduced nuisance algae, both bubble and hair. This observation has been reported numerous times by vodka users.
The addition of vodka/ethanol is thought to increase bacterial biomass. For this, vodka addition would result in bacterial growth and reproduction. During this process nutrients in the water (including NO3 and PO4) are taken up for the formation of new macromolecules that are needed in cell synthesis and viability. Due to this rapid growth and reproduction, NO3 and PO4 can drop quickly from detectable levels by most test kits on the market. The increased biomass of the bacteria leads to a notable increase in skimmate production, removing more waste than without vodka addition.

These instructions will focus solely on using 80 proof vodka (40% ethanol by volume). The dosing instructions below were as dictated by Jörg Kokott and have been used successfully by us.

1. Test your system’s NO3 and PO4 levels. This will be important later on to determining a maintenance dose regimen. During the initial dosing test often and adjust dosing parameters as needed as each tank’s requirement will be different. Dosing accuracy is of the utmost importance. A graduated measurement tool such as a syringe will come in handy. A journal of additions and test kit measurements is recommended.
2. Estimate your Net Water Volume (NWV) of your system. (Aquarium volume + sump + refugium + reactor volumes) – (live rock displacement). It can be difficult to accurately measure the amount of water being displaced by the live rock. If unsure of the volume of live rock we suggest taking 30% off your display tank’s Gross Water Volume. For vodka dosing there is absolutely no harm in underestimating the Net Water Volume and is recommended.

As an example, let us assume that your setup contains 100 Net Gallons.

3. The starting dosage is 0.1ml of vodka per 25 gallons (~100 liters) NWV daily continued for three days. For 100 Net Gallons, your dosage would be 0.4ml daily during this period. It has been suggested to cut the daily dosage in half and dose twice daily for more consistency.
4. Days 4-7, double the daily dosage to 0.2ml of vodka per 25 gallons NWV. Your example dosage would be 0.8ml daily during this period.
5. Each subsequent week add an additional 0.5ml of vodka regardless of aquaria volume. At this point your example dosage during week two would be 1.3ml daily. If you do not see nutrient levels decrease during this week, the following week add an additional 0.5ml for a daily dosage of 1.8ml daily.
6. When your NO3 and PO4 levels start to drop maintain the current dose. For example, if you were on week two when NO3 start to fall on 100 Net Water Volume you would add 1.3mL daily at this time for the continuing weeks until the NO3 becomes undetectable.
7. When your NO3 and PO4 levels drop near undetectable with your test kits cut your current dose in half. This will be your starting maintenance dose (if the levels drop during week 2 then the dose after reaching undetectable levels would be 0.65ml daily [1.3ml divide by 2]).
8. Continue to test for NO3 and PO4. If levels become detectable in the future increase your daily dose by 0.1ml increments per week until the levels start to decrease. If you maintain that dose the levels will eventually drop back to undetectable. This would become your new maintenance dose.

Bacterial Populations - Currently, it is unknown which bacterial populations grow with the addition of organic carbon. Most likely, in any one organic carbon source addition there are several species that become dominant.

Feeding - A derivative of vodka dosing is the ability to increase feeding for fish or invertebrates without reducing water quality. Since the vodka is essentially removing the waste products (nitrates/phosphates) from the reef aquarium, addition of extra food is welcomed if not encouraged.

Phosphate Removal / Granulated Ferric Oxide (GFO) - One of the most common questions is whether to use a phosphate removal material, such as GFO, with carbon dosing. GFO is useful in removal of phosphates from the water column. Essentially, by carbon source additions, the same net result is being achieved. It may even be counterproductive to run GFO while dosing an organic carbon source as both nitrate and phosphates need to be present for this to work properly. Therefore, it is not needed and not commonly recommended but some people continue to run phosphate reactors concurrently.

Water Clarity - water clarity is said to improve dramatically with the vodka method. This has been stated by nearly everyone using this method and may be an indirect result of nitrate/phosphate removal from the water column. Dr. Jean Jaubert made similar claims of his plenum system, where nitrates and phosphates are also depleted and water clarity may be a result of this depletion.

Summary

Vodka dosing has become a simple method for reduction of nitrates and phosphates that have plagued many reef aquarists. Here we have described a method for reduction of these nutrients by stimulation and promotion of bacterial growth through the addition of vodka. Though the underlying mechanism and actual bacteria populations are unknown the results are impressive for their ability to both rid the system of excess nitrates and phosphates.

"Dosing vodka to bring down N and P. <http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=288714&perpage=25> "

"Let’s talk about Vodka/sugar dosing <http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1225324> "

"Let's see 'em - Before and After pics of Vodka Dosing! <http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1422666> "

Natclanwy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to experiment with this be sure and do your research, a tank crash is a very real possibility when dosing vodka. The vodka excellerates the growth of bacteria which can over take your tank. If you overdose and cause a bacteria bloom the water will look cloudy and the bacteria will consume all of the available oxygen in the tank sufficating all of your tank inhabitants.

Just out of curiousity why are you looking at this method of nitrate reduction? I have found that there are safer and more effective ways of controlling nitrates, vodka dosing is more of a bandaid solution.

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to experiment with this be sure and do your research, a tank crash is a very real possibility when dosing vodka.
Just out of curiousity why are you looking at this method of nitrate reduction? I have found that there are safer and more effective ways of controlling nitrates, vodka dosing is more of a bandaid solution.

Hi & thank you for your response. I would never just jump into this without researching and goingly slowly and erring on the side of less is more. But from what I've read it can have some very good benefits. And frankly....as far as a tank crashing...just about anything can cause a tank crash. Salt water is a science and if you add too much or too little anything, it can cause a crash. Or if you're lax in your water changes, etc. and then there's always the mystery crashes where everything *seemed* fine and the tank crashes anyway. So the possibilty of a crash pretty much always exists and I don't think I'd let that fact alone stop me. but do know caution would be essential.

I know there are other methods of controlling Nitrates & phosphates. And I am implementing pretty much all of them. I do regular water changes, use only RO/DI water, have clean up crews, have a refugium with chaeto, have a dual reactor with GFO & Carbon, periodically use a nitrate sponge, lots of live rock and lots of water flow, etc, etc, etc.

But... I still get rises in Nitrates and my corals don't all seem to thrive the way I'd like. I fully realize and know that I over feed! but I have large fish and messy eaters.

If by dosing vodka I am able to increase my bacteria load and can continue to feed the way I feed without the nitrate spike, as well as the benefits to the corals, well that is very appealing to me.

Thanks for your response. I just wondered if anyone here did this or knew anyone that did.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi & thank you for your response. I would never just jump into this without researching and goingly slowly and erring on the side of less is more. But from what I've read it can have some very good benefits. And frankly....as far as a tank crashing...just about anything can cause a tank crash. Salt water is a science and if you add too much or too little anything, it can cause a crash. Or if you're lax in your water changes, etc. and then there's always the mystery crashes where everything *seemed* fine and the tank crashes anyway. So the possibilty of a crash pretty much always exists and I don't think I'd let that fact alone stop me. but do know caution would be essential.

I know there are other methods of controlling Nitrates & phosphates. And I am implementing pretty much all of them. I do regular water changes, use only RO/DI water, have clean up crews, have a refugium with chaeto, have a dual reactor with GFO & Carbon, periodically use a nitrate sponge, lots of live rock and lots of water flow, etc, etc, etc.

But... I still get rises in Nitrates and my corals don't all seem to thrive the way I'd like. I fully realize and know that I over feed! but I have large fish and messy eaters.

If by dosing vodka I am able to increase my bacteria load and can continue to feed the way I feed without the nitrate spike, as well as the benefits to the corals, well that is very appealing to me.

Thanks for your response. I just wondered if anyone here did this or knew anyone that did.

Terri, I would tend to think you will get a better response to this if you post in the general forum rather than here. To my knowledge, no one in our group is or has done this.

OP
OP
Trandall

Trandall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terri, I would tend to think you will get a better response to this if you post in the general forum rather than here. To my knowledge, no one in our group is or has done this.

Hi Randy~ I'm sure you're right, thanks. But I thought perhaps the article might start a pros & cons debate or peak others interest and perhaps get some chatter going on this forum created for us. Hasn't been a lot of activity here.

str8salt

OG SALT CREEP!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with John. Vodka dosing can work but weighing it agaist the cons and other, safer methods, I wouldn't suggest it. Have you tried mangrove? larger refugium? algae scrubber? just some ideas. The vodka will be a bandaid like john said. There has to be a more permanent solution. anyhow, happy reefing and holler if we can help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back