Voltage in the tank water

  • Thread starter Thread starter Spcoley1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Spcoley1

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 11, 2013
Messages
48
Reaction score
8
Location
Baltimore, Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading some posts about stray voltage problems in tanks, I decided to check mine. I read approximately 24-25 VAC (volts alternating current) to ground. Is this normal??
 
?? How do you check that?
 
After reading some posts about stray voltage problems in tanks, I decided to check mine. I read approximately 24-25 VAC (volts alternating current) to ground. Is this normal??
My tank runs around 22 with my skimmer on
 
That's high!! I'd be unplugging equipment until you find the leaker.



And @Xtc_link .....are you sure DC, or is that a mis-type?
 
It's not considered high voltage until 50V, you'll be fine, but for peace of time I would buy a Titanium Grounding Probe.
 
Looking for a pump I can swap into the skimmer and get rid of the old atman before it dies. The needle wheel had cracks in it when I got it.

I swapped a heater for one out of the water station that showed less then one volt. The other had 3v

Last night I added a manifold so I could tie in the scrubber and got rid of the nock off mj1200. I also upped the return from 1/2 to 1" all the way to the new manifold. Then it's 3/4 at the bulk head. All thin-wall pvc.

Got it down to 19-20v
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new