Vortech flow data

Conal monaghan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if there is actual data on vortech mp placement and its effect on water flow / undertow etc? There is lots of myths and recommendations but hard to find any actual info outside rough guidelines . For example, direct and undertow (gyre) flow at different heights on the tank glass, either side or two on the back wall, accommodating for rock structure etc.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if there is actual data on vortech mp placement and its effect on water flow / undertow etc? There is lots of myths and recommendations but hard to find any actual info outside rough guidelines . For example, direct and undertow (gyre) flow at different heights on the tank glass, either side or two on the back wall, accommodating for rock structure etc.

It all depends on your rock work how you build it.
Position of the pumps can change over time due to the growth of corals as well.
How much flow your system requires is up to you for what kind of corals and placing.
I’ve run these pumps now for 10 years and yet once a while I have to tweak the position.
FYI, I have four mp40’s QD running two on each side on a custom schedule which include two nutrient programs.

OP
OP
Conal monaghan

Conal monaghan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on your rock work how you build it.
Position of the pumps can change over time due to the growth of corals as well.
How much flow your system requires is up to you for what kind of corals and placing.
I’ve run these pumps now for 10 years and yet once a while I have to tweak the position.
FYI, I have four mp40’s QD running two on each side on a custom schedule which include two nutrient programs.

Thanks! your tank looks sweet also, well done.

I guess what I would be interested in is comparison of flow effect vs height, and how long vs short side placement affects flow etc. It would be nice for BRS to do experiments like this. For example, I have noticed that changing the vertical height of my pump up even an inch or so can affect the flow in my tank substantially (with the lower position having no effect on the far side of the tank and the higher position having good movement). I'm guessing it has less resistance and greater Gyre.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s all a personal preference in many cases.
Flow is important but over the years I have noticed that there isn’t a thing as the perfect flow.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back