Hydros flow patterns

  • Thread starter Thread starter mjk42
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I have been working on some schedules and have settled on this plan below for my tank. I have a 4ft UNS R120 which has 2 random flow returns and I have an Octopulse 4 on the right and left sides facing each other.

R and L wave makers set to "speed limit" of 15%-60% forward and reverse. They are very powerful and 60% flow is pretty aggressive for 4ft tank

Day Flow Schedule:
7AM-9PM (light on)
Ocean Swell pattern
Max speed 100% (AKA 60% of pump max capable flow)

Night Flow Schedule:
9PM-7AM
Sine wave
2 minute cycle duration
Speed range 1%-50% (AKA peak of 30% of max capable flow)

I use manual feed mode when I give frozen food and it turns wave makers off for 15mins.

Overall this seems to work for my tank and my torches are very happy with long extension and random back and forth flow. My acropora attempt continues to go poorly but I don't think I can blame the flow patterns... 😩
I don't change patterns or power at night.

I am working on lowering or turning off the return for feeding, so I don't lose food down the overflow.

But I leave wavemakers on for feeding fish. I feel they should chase down the food :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new