vortech mp10 rusting issue been resolved?

Jono123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at getting vortech mp10s but there seems to be a rusting issue with them has this been sorted or is it still an issue?

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen this mentioned in a few posts and wonder if another post I saw is related. That other post was about using Vinegar to clean parts with metal in them. Apparently Acetic acid will penetrate plastic, so can permeate the casing and get into the magnet itself. From there it causes rust. The recommendation is to use Hydrochloric (Muriatic) or Citrix acid to soak any parts that contain metal instead of Acetic. Acetic is fine to use on all plastic parts however.

I haven’t had experience with this myself, just passing this on.

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m on my 3rd wet side, the first two both rusted at magnet. But keep on my mind my unit is one of the first generation with the blue driver, so it’s about 10yrs old.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on year 4 of the same wetsides. Clean in vinegar every other month. Have yet to have any rusting issues.

From the threads I read, it was the mp40's that were rusting magnets not the 10's.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back