Vortech MP40 Help

Jamesfleming1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I have just purchased 2 mp40s qd one works fine the other turns on and has a solid red light on. Playing around with the mode button I can get it to turn on but its weak. Is it knackered or am i missing something.

Thanks in advance

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah came to the same conclusion in the end. Can these be changed. Thanks for replying.
If it is new I would contact ecotech customer support. They are normally very responsive to issues.

If you bought it used, yes the driver can be changed, but unless you got a really good deal on it I would contact the seller.

You will love your vortechs once you get them working

OP
OP
J

Jamesfleming1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is new I would contact ecotech customer support. They are normally very responsive to issues.

If you bought it used, yes the driver can be changed, but unless you got a really good deal on it I would contact the seller.

No

No second hand. He did not charge me for the 2nd one as he knew it was playing up. The other one works fine a bit noisy but think it needs a new wet side.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to be 100% sure swap the driver with the one that works to verify. A test procedure used by many auto manufacturers, replace with a know good unit. Just illiminates the guess work and possibility of testing error.

Last edited:

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you essentially got the second non working one for free, I would put a driver on it and enjoy your vortech.

As far as the wet side making noise, the one crucial thing about vortechs for long term durability as well as noise is to be absolutely certain you get the wet side and dry side aligned perfectly. A little off and it will cause noise, especially at higher flow rates, and will wear the bearings.

OP
OP
J

Jamesfleming1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No

No second hand. He did not charge me for the 2nd one as he knew it was playing up. The other one works fine a bit noisy but think it needs a new wet side.

Since you essentially got the second non working one for free, I would put a driver on it and enjoy your vortech.

As far as the wet side making noise, the one crucial thing about vortechs for long term durability as well as noise is to be absolutely certain you get the wet side and dry side aligned perfectly. A little off and it will cause noise, especially at higher flow rates, and will wear the bearings.
Thanks bud really appretiate is there any videos anywhere on how to change the driver and of course where to get them. Sorry pretty new to all of this.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know ecotech sells the driver on their site. Driver swap is pretty simple. Have not looked for videos, but I am sure there are some out there.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video that shows the general process for changing the driver. Might be slightly different if you already have QD drivers, but you will get the idea.

OP
OP
J

Jamesfleming1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well gents you were right its the driver. Changed and the dry side worked perfectly. Annoyingly one of the wet sides looks like its knachered as well

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well gents you were right its the driver. Changed and the dry side worked perfectly. Annoyingly one of the wet sides looks like its knachered as well

Well you did say he gave you the one so if you piece them together you at least have one good one and you can dicide it it's worth it to buy a new driver and a wet side. The good news is the wet side is less expensive that the dry side.

OP
OP
J

Jamesfleming1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you did say he gave you the one so if you piece them together you at least have one good one and you can dicide it it's worth it to buy a new driver and a wet side. The good news is the wet side is less expensive that the dry side.
That's very true i think i may splurge i only spent a hundred so it still a lot chaper than buying 2 new

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back