Vortechs out of stock

Discussion in 'Bulk Reef Supply' started by m3p, Oct 10, 2017.

1. m3p

m3p Member

is there a reason all of the ecotech vortech sizes are out of stock? something new coming? I need an MP10, but can wait if there is something in the pipeline.

Tags:

2. Antics

Antics Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

During the month of September Ecotech ran a Vortech sale which resulted in Mp10WQD being 10% off, MP40QD being 15% off and MP60QD being 20% off. BRS was routinely going out of stock as shipments came in.

Bulk Reef Supply likes this.
  3. SonoranReefer

SonoranReefer Member

They just had a sale on BRS and Marine Depot. My local LFS price matched so I was able to get in on the deal and support my LFS!

Bouncingsoul39 likes this.
  4. MaddyP

MaddyP 'Til Reefdom Come... R2R Supporter SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

It is very likely Ecotech has something in the works. I believe they said as much during an interview with Marine Depot? Correct me if I’m wrong...

5. ChukeeR

ChukeeR Well-Known Member

Seems that a common business model in this industry is to list things on sale to reduce stock and shortly after that, the newly improved upgraded product will be announced and made available. This happened to me with the Radion Gen 2s and I believe that Neptune did something pretty similar with the Apex.

At least with some companies we've grown to expect that they will have something newer, better, and shinier each year or two. It's a bit more of a challenge to know with these 18-24-30-etc month release cycles when these companies give little information as to what they're working on and the masses aren't our scouring the internet everyday checking patent records, stealing prototypes, etc.

FDAWG, Bouncingsoul39 and MaddyP like this.
  6. Antics

Antics Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

From my perspective Im not sure how much can be improved on the Vortech line. Maybe there is something else coming but I already think the product is pretty close to perfect.

I wonder if the sale could be related to the success of the gyre and the budget ice cap version.

bif24701 likes this.
  7. Falk

Falk Well-Known Member

Built in wifi would be a nice plus

Antics likes this.
  8. Antics

I agree, but I just can't see it happening with the Reeflink.

9. scurvy dawg

scurvy dawg Well-Known Member

I would like to see the MP line that can you can adjust the flow pattern instead of just straight ahead.

mcola78 and Antics like this.
  10. Antics

I'm not sure what you mean? If you mean being able to articulate the head within the tank I don't think that's possible due to how they use magnets? And if it were I can't see how it would have the clean look that Ecotech has going for it now?

Djr99 and Zack Klabunde like this.
  11. MaddyP

MaddyP 'Til Reefdom Come... R2R Supporter SCMAS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

If I had to guess, I would say they are going to make the Vortech more space efficient, reducing the protrusion. Magnetic technology has come a long way since these were first released. I mean, they already made them quieter, which was a huge success. Imagine if they introduced a slimmer wet side compatible with existing Vortechs and a slimmer dry side for the full experience?

FDAWG likes this.
  12. MaddyP

Interestingly enough, Ecotech filed two new patents at the beginning of this year detailing magnetic pumps. Maybe this is an iteration of the original patent, or it could be the “new” design differed from the current VorTech enough to warrant a new patent.

https://patents.justia.com/inventor/justin-lawyer

FDAWG and ChukeeR like this.
  13. Antics

Wow that's an interesting idea. I could definitely see that being appealing. But I wonder if it's viable? Slimming the wet side would really affect how much water the pump can intake from the sides and propel forward wouldn't it? And they already get ridiculously hot on the outside. I'd be worried about overheating if they slim the outside anymore since it would greatly reduce the passive cooling ability.

MaddyP likes this.
  14. scurvy dawg

scurvy dawg Well-Known Member

Before they came out with their wetside/dryside concept, I don't think we thought that was possible either.

MaddyP likes this.