w/b question with AI LED's and Raw mode

acr0p0ra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple questions about shooting my tank under LED's.

I have Ai's and Im not sure if I should be using a custom white balance or not.
I read somewhere that if I shoot in RAW mode then the w/b doesnt matter. Is this true? if so, what other setting do not need to be adjusted in raw mode?
Thanks

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which camera are you using?

But in general, shooting in raw lets you adjust your white balance with no image degradation. Another thing that is nice with raw images is the fact that if you need to enhance shadows or highlights, there is far more data available in those areas so you do not lose image quality. With that said, you still should strive to get your image as close as possible straight from the camera.

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which camera are you using?

But in general, shooting in raw lets you adjust your white balance with no image degradation. Another thing that is nice with raw images is the fact that if you need to enhance shadows or highlights, there is far more data available in those areas so you do not lose image quality. With that said, you still should strive to get your image as close as possible straight from the camera.

I agree. Try to get as close as you can with the camera. Editing can tweak it then. I have a canon 7d and with my AI sol blues I set it in manual mode to 60% white, 40% blue and 30% royal to get a pretty close representation of the coral color. I find with those settings, I can even take pictures with my iPhone. This photo was taken in JPG and
IMG_1513.jpg

no editing.
IMG_1512.jpg

And these were taken with my iPhone. Again, no editing has been done.
3a7d66fe.jpg

f4477fa4.jpg

Last edited:

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good tip on the AI settings, I will have to try that tonight.

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to get the settings as close to what I think it should look to me eye before I set the camera up. Those setting work pretty well for me to get some pop without the ultra blue windex look.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you shoot RAW files you can easily correct the white balance in the RAW-conversion software. I have not had any difficulty achieving accurate colors under LEDs. CSJIII, I would suggest that your colors are not accurate at all. They are still quite blue. However, blue is the color of the day in reef aquariums and, in your mind, the colors you're showing may be accurate in terms of what you want your corals to look like. That's fine and your preference. I won't dispute the accuracy of the colors as you see them. However, that heavy blue cast is not an accurate representation of the true coral colors.

Here is an image shot under LEDs and then converted to the proper color in RAW-conversion software.

Gary

trachyphyllia8stack01.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back