Waited for the trident, got the alkatronic

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the Alkatronic has a pump with which you can program to dose additional alkalinity, which the Trident can't do
Kh guardian has a test and dose combo. I am using 2 units one of which for 2m5 years. Love it.
Early in it had issues but they did couppe of free parts updates and its solid. At least on my end.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some research and for the price, cost of reagents, and total testing capability I’m going to wait for the trident. Also I will not be dosing as I’m running a CaRx so a dos is not necessary. I will be running a dos for water changes tho. Here is a good video showing and explaining the difference between the two.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That never occurred to me...do you have an example of the code you use?

Not saying I do it the best way but here's what I do:

CA PUMP

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Output VO_CARX_MAIN = ON Then ON
If Output VO_CARX_SUP1 = ON Then ON
If Output VO_CARX_KH = ON Then ON

VO_CARX_MAIN

Set OFF
OSC 000:00/007:00/008:00 Then ON
If ALK > 8.59 Then OFF

VO_CARX_SUP1

Set OFF
OSC 000:00/008:30/006:30 Then ON
If ALK > 8.59 Then OFF
If Time 23:00 to 13:00 Then OFF

VO_CARX_KH

Set OFF
OSC 000:00/002:45/012:25 Then ON
If ALK < 8.59 Then OFF
If ALK > 8.63 Then OFF

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some research and for the price, cost of reagents, and total testing capability I’m going to wait for the trident. Also I will not be dosing as I’m running a CaRx so a dos is not necessary. I will be running a dos for water changes tho. Here is a good video showing and explaining the difference between the two.

Omg man, this video is the most biased and falsfull video ever, done by someone who is worst than the video itself...do not get me started on mark..
The video is part of the add campaign that's all what it is. They released the video a day after the launch.
Piece of advice, do not depend on mark to decide anything. Srsly!

Last edited:

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still a big fan of khg. Been using it for a while now, added a 2nd unit and its amazing.

I believe dr. Chen will sell khg directly to customers. I believe now it's around 500$.
I still think khg is the best option in the market cost and reliability wise.

-Test and dose
-Stand alone
- Can connect to controllers like ghl and apex.
- very transparent and straight forward when it come to communication with customers..

And the most awesome thing about khg is its design. It's highly modular.
Its simply 3 modulea.
-Ph prob
-Chamber that contain stirrer, ir sensor for drip count and the titration pump
- dosers.
Each of these modules are cheap and easily replaced when needed. Whenever there is an update or you have an issue you can easily change the module.

As an example people had issues with the stirrer or the titration pump, they got new chamber that have all the updates in one module. Problem solved.

Compare this to complex designs that you need to send back to dealer, Or to high cost alktronic or kh director I seems to me a no brainer.

I still cannot justify kh director though I know its awesome and I am switching all my apex with ghl lineup, but will not use khd because khg is still king in my books.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been looking at the equipment sale forum and I am not seeing people dumping their Alkatronic for the Trident. Anyone here selling their Alkatronic?

I am now deciding if I am just going to put an Alkatronic/Dosetronic combo on my frag tank. If I can find an Alkatronic for a deal that I cannot pass, I might have to snatch it up. :D

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg man, this video is the most biased and falsfull video ever, done by someone who is worst than the video itself...do not get me started on mark..
The video is part of the add campaign that's all what it is. They released the video a day after the launch.
Piece of advice, do not depend on mark to decide anything. Srsly!

umm...how about you add a line stating " In your humble opinion"
That entire diatribe is a bit over the top in my opinion and uncalled for. I don't know Mark but I have followed him for years and his advice in general is quite good. Posts like yours just serve to pollute R2R and belong on other less friendly reefing forums!

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on keeping my Alkatronic for a while so I pre-ordered a Dosetronic. I looked at the Trident and KH Director but am sticking with the Alkatronic as I don't really test Ca/Mg often, I like the ease of returning the test to the tank, and the operating costs seem the lowest.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
umm...how about you add a line stating " In your humble opinion"
That entire diatribe is a bit over the top in my opinion and uncalled for. I don't know Mark but I have followed him for years and his advice in general is quite good. Posts like yours just serve to pollute R2R and belong on other less friendly reefing forums!
Not really. I just have a strong openion about him because he is like a spokesman for hire. His review was wrong and had wrong informations. In my book this is bad and dishonest. new reefers are the victims with people like him..
But I get your point...sorry my post irritated you. Next time I will make sure to check with you before I post so you guide me which forum to go to;)

Last edited:

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on keeping my Alkatronic for a while so I pre-ordered a Dosetronic. I looked at the Trident and KH Director but am sticking with the Alkatronic as I don't really test Ca/Mg often, I like the ease of returning the test to the tank, and the operating costs seem the lowest.

Yeah @Silver14SS that is where I am going back and forth right now. Dude I was testing dKH every hour recently while tuning the system and my 1 gallon Alkatronic reagent container is still almost full. I do like being able to return the reagent back to the tank sooo much. That does give me additional space below my tank too.

The Alkatronic is soo darn good too. I was reading too (already knew but reading it still) that tanks do not crash from a swing in calcium / magnesium either. Heck I read that coral do not really care about the exact ppm or calcium or magnesium, but they 100% do about dKH/PO4/NO3, flow and lighting.

Heck some people are putting flow before lighting and water chemistry for coral growth. But for color, water parameters trump (i.e. PO4/NO3).

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah @Silver14SS that is where I am going back and forth right now. Dude I was test dKH every hour recently while tuning the system and my 1 gallon Alkatronic reagent container is still almost full. I do like being able to return the reagent back to the tank sooo much. That does give me additional space below my tank too.

The Alkatronic is soo darn good too.
Same ad the khg test water can be dumped back in the system. This was nice and useful.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love gadgets, new technology is very exciting, but it's hard to beat testing alk every hour for < $1/day. I like the design of the Alkatronic as well, kind of industrial but should be easy to service.
59768928_862428704093882_2537803077495291904_o.jpg

Capture.PNG

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love gadgets, new technology is very exciting, but it's hard to beat testing alk every hour for < $1/day. I like the design of the Alkatronic as well, kind of industrial but should be easy to service.
59768928_862428704093882_2537803077495291904_o.jpg

Capture.PNG

It can be even cheaper than that @Silver14SS, there is a home-made reagent floatingvaround somewhere using diluted Muriatic Acid. That is all that the Alkatronic reagent is.

You are correct on the industrial design. I have my quiet rollers coming in hopefully this week.

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be even cheaper than that @Silver14SS, there is a home-made reagent floatingvaround somewhere using diluted Muriatic Acid. That is all that the Alkatronic reagent is.

You are correct on the industrial design. I have my quiet rollers coming in hopefully this week.

What is the recipe for the home-made reagent? I would love to make the diy reagent

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been looking at the equipment sale forum and I am not seeing people dumping their Alkatronic for the Trident. Anyone here selling their Alkatronic?

I am now deciding if I am just going to put an Alkatronic/Dosetronic combo on my frag tank. If I can find an Alkatronic for a deal that I cannot pass, I might have to snatch it up. :D

#Focustronic
Dosetronic

Mitch,
I love my Alkatronic. There is not doubt in it's accuracy.

but.. until Focustronic gets its customer support back online and in the grove...

https://focustronic.club/

the Dosetronic or any other their products are off my list.

That support link is so terrible and not much better in any way you try to contact Focustronic.

I'm am asking @CoralVue , (can not send pm), right now to please dig into the above link.

Reach out to Focustronic ask them to take care of their forum.

Again,
Until Focustronic steps back up to the plate, in customer support.
Dosetronic is totally off the plate.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#Focustronic
Dosetronic

Mitch,
I love my Alkatronic. There is not doubt in it's accuracy.

but.. until Focustronic gets its customer support back online and in the grove...

https://focustronic.club/

the Dosetronic or any other their products are off my list.

That support link is so terrible and not much better in any way you try to contact Focustronic.

I'm am asking @CoralVue , (can not send pm), right now to please dig into the above link.

Reach out to Focustronic ask them to take care of their forum.

Again,
Until Focustronic steps back up to the plate, in customer support.
Dosetronic is totally off the plate.

That was something I think they put in when everything went down here on R2R. There is some history with why that forum was launched. If I have a question, I just contact them through Facebook Messenger and get pretty quick responses.

I agree with you on the Dosetronic though. I am not sold on the concept of dosing based on dKH usage. I could see using it as a standard doser, but already have 2 DOS at the moment. Maybe if my frag tank ever needs something then I'll look more into it.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was something I think they put in when everything went down here on R2R. There is some history with why that forum was launched. If I have a question, I just contact them through Facebook Messenger and get pretty quick responses.

I agree with you on the Dosetronic though. I am not sold on the concept of dosing based on dKH usage. I could see using it as a standard doser, but already have 2 DOS at the moment. Maybe if my frag tank ever needs something then I'll look more into it.

Mitch,
Focustronic did respond back to my wife's Facebook page. So I know how to find them, in the future.

I have to agree with the Dosetronic.
There is only one product that I ever used that came to equal doses.

Mitch,
Thanks for all that you do for Alkatronic users.

Freddie

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got tired of adjusting my DOS all the time to match alk consumption, so I tried a Dosetronic. So far I like it a lot. No issues, been running SDA all weekend messing around with it. I use ATI Essentials 3 part and am dosing equal amounts.

I’ve only contacted Focustronic twice, both through email, both with responses within a business day.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a Dosetronic. So far I like it a lot. No issues, been running SDA all weekend messing around with it. I use ATI Essentials 3 part and am dosing equal amounts.

Silver,
That's is good to know.

It so new that it would be nice if someone could start a Dosetronic thread on Reef 2 Reef.
I run a calcium reactor, but I'd sure like to see what others have to say about their Dosetronic.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%

Back