Walking dendros... im finally doing it

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any of you remember my old thread about walking dendros then you know where I'm going. I placed an order for three and they're hopefully arriving today! And now that I'm getting them, I have a question for you. They get their ability to walk due to a peanut worm living in the skeleton, however there is no record on how long the dendo worms actually live. So if you have kept them, how long has the worm lived relative to the coral? And how did it fare after the worm died? Would love to hear your experiences, I'll post photos once I pick them up!

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240201_180009.jpg

Besides a few coral boring spinoid worms they're all in great condition and the peanut worms are all alive

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I've always thought they were incredibly cool. Will look forward to seeing how yours do! I know me, and I'll never spot feed coral, lol. I'll just have to vicariously enjoy yours
Haha, knowing me these things are getting fed 4 times a week, I always spotfeed my LPS every other day

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! That sure is one of the weirdest, though interesting corals you can get.

I wish dendros weren’t banned in my country, would’ve been interesting to get one.

You asked what happens if the worm dies, I presume you’ve seen this article already?

Knowing the regular hermits we keep in the hobby, I’m sure one will take its place.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! That sure is one of the weirdest, though interesting corals you can get.

I wish dendros weren’t banned in my country, would’ve been interesting to get one.

You asked what happens if the worm dies, I presume you’ve seen this article already?

Knowing the regular hermits we keep in the hobby, I’m sure one will take its place.
I did see that, I wonder if I have any hermits hiding out in my rockwork...

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see that, I wonder if I have any hermits hiding out in my rockwork...
If you have doubts and don’t want to take any chances, you can place some empty shells of different sizes. They’ll usually prefer to take an empty shell rather than to actively kill a snail.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looks like one of them dosent have a living peanut worm, but I did buy three. And the way these things stir the sandbed is incredible! This tank is coral only for now (not even CUC) and these things leave a path of upturned sand when they move. I may need to expand their pen

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the missing worm.
Hopefully you can talk to the vendor and they’ll send another one/refund you.

Do they move fast, or is it the kind of movement you only notice after a while?

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the missing worm.
Hopefully you can talk to the vendor and they’ll send another one/refund you.

Do they move fast, or is it the kind of movement you only notice after a while?
I'd say comparable to a tiger conch. Sometimes they'll stay still but you can definitely watch them drag themselves along, I did pick up the dendros immediately after the wholesaler order so there were no guarantees...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh so they’re pretty active, I thought they’ll move more like an anemone tbh. I showed them to my father and he was really intrigued haha
I had to build them a little corral out of dry rock to prevent them from walking into my acantho or others, after seeing how they clean the sandbed I may expand this to the entire back of the tank :) also where I decided to put them turned out to be a dead spot... perfect for sand sifting worms

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, wouldn’t they be able to crawl outside of it? Or are you thinking the worm isn’t strong enough to take a hold on a steep surface?
They burrow through the sand, if anything it will try to burrow beneath it.. which isn't going to work

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home and I'm already in love with these
20240202_144758.jpg
20240202_144729.jpg

(Sorry about all the pods and algae on the glass, haven't cleaned it yet)

I don't want to say anything but the one that I thought was empty has moved, now I'm unsure If it was nudged or if there is indeed a peanut worm that is really good at hiding.. I'll keep you updated

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice coral! I wonder though; is it possible to get one's hands on a Heterocyathus? They're pretty similar to walking dendros (Heteropsammia) in appearance.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice coral! I wonder though; is it possible to get one's hands on a Heterocyathus? They're pretty similar to walking dendros (Heteropsammia) in appearance.
Those are pretty nice corals as well, the place I got mine off of only had walking dendros, and personally I've never seen a Heterocyathus avaliable, but I assume it's possible that they could accidentally have collected a few along with the dendros if they are native to Australia.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back